Natural Sharks vs Park (Pigeon) Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Where can we find real life natural sharks? Lets make a list!

Not sure where best to post this, but I thought basic would be wrong as I was looking for comments and feedback from people who have seen more than 1 shark that was not fed....</rant>

Sharks seem to have popped up as a hot topic lately. But they mostly seem to be "park" sharks. they are fed. just like pigeons. so they show up. just like pigeons. Kind of like street performers and buskers. i love busters and i tip them well. if they are funny. i hate park sharks, they remind me of pigeons. which **** on me. way too often.

Real sharks exist. Where are they?

I start with the Turks & Caicos.

P.S. We regularly see "common Caribbean reef sharks" while diving in the T&C (up to 10 per dive, within about 5 feet) and numerous sporadic Nurse sharks several other places. Orcas spotted from cruise ships in the Arctic and Antarctic and a couple o whale sharks every now and then (well 2, only 2)

Solomon Islands. Can't guarantee what'll turn up, or how many, but I've seen fifteen species of shark in the last eight years and they're all behaving naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I must admit, I was not wanting to run in to this "non pigeon" shark at Point Lobos on Monday.

LobosGW.jpg

Great White Shark Edit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Grey nurse sharks in eastern Australia. They are seen every dive at many locations. Also called sand tigers by other countries.

By "park sharks", you mean shark feeding dives?

In my experience, sharks are everywhere, although marine life is always more abundant in national parks or ecological reserves. But, it would be illegal to feed the animals in the park.

The TCI have done a wonderful job with recognizing conservation needs. So, there's a lot of protection for the sharks in the park. I used to live in Provo, diving from that island, Grand Turk, West Caicos and North Caicos. We almost always dove the conservation area unless we were collecting lobster or conch.

The most amount of sharks that I've ever seen at once were schooling hammerheads in the Galapagos Islands which was also in a park. Of course, sharks swim out of the protected area and fishermen go into areas where they are not supposed to be.

Maldives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hammerheads at the east end of Molokai, Hawaii, by the pinnacles. Also, Akumal area, nurse shark sightings very common. Molokini Crater, Maui, white tip reef sharks in front, occasional tiger shark on back wall. I have never been on and will never go on a shark feeding dive. I like the op's characterization of those sightings being like feeding pigeons in the park.
DivemasterDennis

Wrecks off the coast of NC. Sand Tigers range from common to abundant. Also see some sandbars and occassionally some others. You will see them on the ledges but on the ledges they seem to avoid divers while on the wrecks they hang around.

Attachments

• sharkx1s500.jpg
    sharkx1s500.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 381
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom