http://www.diveheart.org/

700,000 tires destroys South Florida reef system!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buck3647

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This will be the headlines one day when the next tidal surge deposits the 700,000 tires just off shore from Ft Lauderdale.
Out of sight out of mind is what the politicians have decided is OK with this dangerous situation. How many of you know about this?

Florida is seeking suggestions from the public on how to revive the reef system but is unwilling to create a no fish zone or a moritorium realistically the only way to revive the reefs as proven on other Islands.

When was the last time you saw a school of barracuda?

When was the last time you saw a school of barracuda?

Not to disagree with your main emphasis which I am sympathetic with, but it was the last time I dove in Florida.

Ironically, they were put there in an effort to create a reef and promote marine life :)

I think there was an initiative a few years ago for military divers to try and recover most of the tires, but not sure if that ever happened.

The back side of Hillsboro ledge is one of the most depressing sites I've ever seen. Very close by is Angel's reef, one of the most lively pieces of reef around, quite a few tires has found it's way there from storms over the years.
It was a pretty stupid idea to dump all those tires to promote coral growth, I guess they didn't know any better back then.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 02:21 PM ----------

As for the schools of barracudas, many will put it in the commercial fisherman's tab

Back
Top Bottom