Buddy wants me to take him night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a friend that is OW certified and wants to go to spring with me and do a shallow night dive. We will be in 30' and I am a PADI MAster diver. I have dove with him before and he is a good diver. Should I be concerned to take him and just cancel the dive?

Provided you have the right kit, conditions and plan- two lights apiece in case one fails, good knowledge of the site, a clear and easily found/marked entry and exit point, and you are both comfortable diving I see no reason why you should not do a shallow night dive with him.

What is important though is that you take the time to talk through the differences between day and night dives, rehearse/discuss light signals and communications and really re-enforce the need for good buddy skills and practices.

I do a lot of shallow night diving from the shore and often take people with me who haven't night dived before. It is usually an unforgettable experience with them wanting to come back again.

The main thing though is do YOU feel comfortable to lead a night dive for your friend - if you are, then fine, but if you are not that experienced at night diving yourself and feel unsure then don't do it.

What I might feel comfortable with and what you are comfortable with are two different things, and what matters here is how you feel about it not anyone else.

Approached sensibly it is as safe as day time diving, do it without preparing properly, planning and thinking it through and the risks are slightly magnified regarding getting lost and so on.

Have fun and enjoy - Phil

Be sure to review light signals and how to signal using your hands.

I second this, been on a few night dives with folks who were taught differently than I was......made for quite a confusing and frustrating dive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go for it.........all things sound go, unless you're the scared one.............

Many divers take up night diving with no formal training. Being a decent diver with good buoyancy control is even more important when you may have limited visual references. Being mentored by a DM is a luxury for many!

Here a quick primmer of things I think he should know.

Pete

We are good just wanted to know what to be cautious of

The more important question is how comfortable are you in a night dive while mentoring another diver.

Down in my neck of the woods we have a site that every dive is a night dive even at high noon. The tannins in the water keeps viz down to about 10ft. Its actually one of my favorite sites to take students. It really forces them to dive based on their gauges and no by sight.

Hope you both have fun.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom