http://www.diveheart.org/

How could a diver be so cruel :((

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly, that is something I too have occasionally seen. It's bad enough when it is done by some unthinking tourist diver, but, IMO, it is worse when done by a local professional DM.

On the flip side, I've heard the argument that this type "activity"does not harm the fish, and that the local divers "know how to do it without causing harm", but the fish in the video didn't look too secure/happy with the situation.

When you can't bully a person, find a Puffer. They don't fight back. However, I've heard Stonefish actually like divers to hold them..

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 03:56 PM ---------
So I guess holding the Puffer isn't that bad.

New concerns over Stingray sandbar :: cayCompass.com

Last edited:
Most likely the reason he harassed the fish to make it puff up was in order to make happy tipping customers

That would not only eliminate any tip from me, I'd also cancel all future diving with that operation and demand that they waive the notice period.

So, what about this ?

Attachments

• pesquero_1.jpg
    pesquero_1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 343
Does anybody actually believe this from the article?

When a puffer fish puffs up, it takes in water to increase the size. This makes the puffers organs move to the side, inside the body and the organs flattens. This causes an extreme stress to the puffer fish. In some cases the puffer fish dies from this stress.

Geeze that's like thinking mother nature is an idiot. I guess somebody will sooner or later put out a notice that making feinting goats feint is actually bad for them too....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom