a fun (well sort of) weight experiment in dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
so i was bored and curious the other night, so i decided to take my dry suit gear to pool and see how much weight i would need to be about neutral with just the suit and snorkel gear.

i was in my bare nex gen pro bag suit w/rock boots and a 7mm hood. no gloves (just cuz). was wearing my thin skins and my hollis aug 100 under garment. thats what i typically use diving here. also my mask, fins and snorkel. i am 5 foot 9 and about 180lbs btw.

believe it or not, i had to put 25lbs on my weight belt along with 11/2lbs on each ankle to be aprox neutral for a total of 28lbs. ever tried to snorkel with 25lbs on your waist ?? its not exactly comfy. lol

just thought it would be interesting to try it out. i was surprised it took that much. most of us at pool thought it would be around 20lbs needed. NOT !!

edit: i squeezed as much air out of the suit as i could when trying this. so remember this amount is a minimum for me. any added air will require more weight to offset

Last edited:
Of course a big variable is how much air you had in the suit. The amount of lead would obviously vary from suit squeeze at one extreme to Michelin Man at the other. I assume you were somewhere in between at your preferred buoyancy.

i did my best to burp as much air from the suit as i could. it was squeezin me pretty good. so uncomfortable. (my poor man nuggets haha) i should have added that bit to the post. (see edit)
so that 28lbs is actually a minimum for me. as knotical mentioned. any added air to the suit will obviously require more added weight to overcome.

What you have discovered is the reason i dont like the AUG high loft suits. They trap a ton of air. I switched to the 4th element undergarments and was amazed how much less weight i use.

I suggest you check them out.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom