DMT and chamber nursing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Young33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im not sure if this is the best section for this, so please move if it is not in the right sections mods. Anyway, I am about to take my national registry EMT exam and am starting nursing school in the fall for my BSN. I am looking at DMT(Diver medical technician) training, which is short(a few days) and the only requirement is to be an EMTB. Is there much work open for DMT's? How much is really learned that a nursing student/EMT student wouldn't have already learned?

Also, the same agency offers chamber nursing classes, I am curious about this as well. Is anyone here a chamber nurse?

I would recommend DAN's DMT course which is conducted at U Penn. Details here. 5 days I believe. The DMT class will be building on what you know as an EMT with little overlap. Invasive skills are covered in the class which may be covered in your nursing class, but not EMT class I would think. Your days will be full and you will be exhausted by the end of each day. After the DMT class, look at International ATMO for HBOT specific training. Most HBOT employers will send you to ATMO's facility in TX for their 40 hr intro course if you're going to be working in or around a chamber.

I would recommend DAN's DMT course which is conducted at U Penn. Details here. 5 days I believe. The DMT class will be building on what you know as an EMT with little overlap. Invasive skills are covered in the class which may be covered in your nursing class, but not EMT class I would think. Your days will be full and you will be exhausted by the end of each day. After the DMT class, look at International ATMO for HBOT specific training. Most HBOT employers will send you to ATMO's facility in TX for their 40 hr intro course if you're going to be working in or around a chamber.

great thanks. I saw DAN's class, however the weekend near me is my girlfriends birthday, so at least that one will not be in the cards currently. But, is there much work available for a DMT? Possible summer seasonal work that I can do while Im in school?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom