Science Of Diving passed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrokern

Contributor
Reaction score
Passed my SSI Science of Diving final on the first try today! :D

I have to say, that's definitely the most I've studied for anything since college...and it's been awhile since college. Come to think of it, I don't know if I studied that hard for most of my exams DURING college.

That's definitely the most useful information I've gotten out of a specialty thus far...I find it very useful to know the math and theory behind the rules, and it feels like it provides a good foundation if I decide to get into more technical training.

Now on to a few more specialties that actually require getting wet! :wink:

-Mark

Congrats on your passing. Took a lot of material to cover all the tested areas.
Just took the sample test on http://www.umces.edu/sites/default/files/Diving SafetyexamrevMay05.pdf took maybe 5 minutes but is a very comprehensive test. Reminds me of my OW test many many decades ago. Dont like the ? with the possible answer of tank valve fully on and back 1/2 turn. I thik i got an 80-90 without having the answer key.

Here are some lik=nks for those who may want to try the test
http://www.gobookee.org/ssi-science-of-diving-final-exam/
http://www.green-ebookshop.net/ssi-science-of-diving-test-answers/

Good job and congrads! Definitely useful information, helps things fall into place and answers some questions. There was a time when it was fundamental, those topics and more were covered before hitting the pool with scuba gear.

Last edited:
That's kind of the thought I had while going through the class (and my instructor agreed)...much of this is the more in-depth theory that used to be part of more rigorous OW training. Lots of questions that required working tables, for example.

congrats to you !! i had to study my ass off as well. you are right it is def good knowledge to have no matter how far you take your training

thats great, I really want to take that. Maybe Ill do that next winter with ice diving. You don't have any medical experience do you? Im thinking that the physiology stuff anyway will be the east part for me, Im in nursing school currently

The physiology was pretty simple for me, honestly, and I don't have any medical training beyond first aid / CPR / AED. It focused on dive injuries and treatment.

Physics was a pain, and some of the questions are just way out there. The test questions are far more complex than the examples in the book. Be ready to do a lot of conversions before even touching the primary formulas.

Learn your air tables if you don't know them. You'll need to work table problems.

Not to be a jerk, but isn't that basically just the OW information rehashed, with just a little extra thrown in? Is this a prerequisite for DM or something? Looking at the pdf practice exam KWS posted, pretty much all of it was covered by my PADI OW course. There were a couple of poorly written questions but they had more or less obvious answers.

I haven't looked at the PDF...I know it's been revised recently.

This went far beyond anything covered in OW. Boyle's Law and Charles Law are mentioned in OW, but you aren't working physics problems based on them.

The tables work would be no problem to anyone who took OW before computers, or has had a decent nitrox course. Then again, even basic nitrox doesn't really include table work these days. I think that's a loss even if you only ever dive with computers, as the tables add to an understanding of what is actually happening to you.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2014 at 01:45 PM ----------

It is a prerequisite for professional ratings, yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom