Fiji - Bamboo Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, hopefully my last thread about Fiji resorts!

Bamboo Beach Resort (former Mokusigas Resort) - anyone been there yet? More interested in feedback about the resort itself - we've investigated the diving prospects in the area. Crystal Divers apparently has shifted premises to the resort, but we'd like to know what the resort itself is like - food, accommodation, level of amenities, activities, quality of service, etc. The resort is yet to put a new website up, and the website of Marlin Bay Resort (same management) has no info.

Wait a minute, no fair....I want to know too! Our LDS is planning a trip there this year and I want to know, post fire-in-the-kitchen, whether its worth going to.

We've just booked 8 nights here in August. Bit of confusion when trying to book it, they don't have a website up yet, and Crystal Divers (who are shifting premises to Bamboo Beach resort) redirect people to the Marlin Bay resort for Bamboo Beach accommodation bookings, as apparently they are either managed or owned by the same people. News to the Marlin Bay staff. There was some confusion when trying to book through Marlin Bay - we were twice given rates when we asked for Bamboo Beach rates that turned out to be Marlin Bay rates, and the people at Marlin Bay seemed to have no idea that Bamboo Beach was linked to them, and that they were being forwarded people wanting to book at Bamboo Beach. We were almost booked accommodation at Marlin Bay, not Bamboo Beach! Imagine turning up on your honeymoon to find out you had been booked at the wrong resort on the other side of the country. We eventually got hold of a contact number for Bamboo Beach and booked direct, the price jumping $900 USD in the process, and while this was going on the direct business class seats on a weekend flight we were going to book using frequent flyer points were snapped up by another couple, so we ended up with mid-week economy seats with a stopover, and had to change our resort dates. It's considerably more expensive than Marlin Bay, so it had better be good!

I will post the direct contact information for Bamboo Beach later today to try and save anyone else trying to book there the heartache and confusion we went through - if we'd been given the correct rates in the first place (and staff a little better informed), we would have had our business class flights for our honeymoon, on the dates we wanted, and less of a last minute price shock. It had better be bloody good food and diving!

On another note, anyone wanting to book seats on QANTAS with frequent flyer points on any flights should get in early - apparently there are NO business class flights to Fiji left available this year until SEPTEMBER, and it's only February. We're switching to Virgin Blue for domestic and United / AirNZ for international flights - I had 125,000 FF points and couldn't get a 45,000 point seat 6 months in advance, and could not get an economy flight from Sydney to Melbourne 6 months in advance without an 8 hour stopover in Sydney. There are something like 27 or so Syd-Mel flights a day and there were still no seats.

I can't vouch for the food and accomodations but as I mentioned in my PM, the diving is superb. Make sure you're taken to the reefs in the Bligh Water. Black Magic Mountain and G6 were my favorites. Purple Haze was also good.

I've had the same problem with frequent flyer programs. In January I began trying to book business class seats on United (using US Air miles) to Sydney. I was flexible about dates. I was even willing to fly to Bangkok or Singapore. No go. I've complained to US Air but so far no results. I guess it's a typical story but I'm fed up because it's been three years running with the same results.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Reuben

Well - where to start.

Anyone wanting to book with Bamboo Beach - I highly recommend going through their US based office on (949) 646-8091 for bookings. We were mistakenly double booked after booking direct with the resort, and we were later told our original dates were no longer available, as the resort had been fully booked by a tour group and our stay overlapped their booking. Trouble was, we'd booked and purchased airline travel in the meantime!

You can imagine the horror of being told your planned honeymoon was no longer available on the dates you've purchased non-refundable travel for, and not having the budget/points for new travel. Teething trouble with the new reservation system I guess, but OUCH!

Jackie P from Bamboo Beach's stateside office was able work with us through this *very* stressful episode, rearranging new flights for us, picking up the tab for the difference, and arranging a few bonuses as way of helping our honeymoon be a bit extra special, and we thank her dearly for rectifying an error that was beyond her own office's control. We are now looking forward to enjoying our stay at Bamboo Beach at the end of June/early July. There's plenty of space left at the resort on those dates and throughout July, and we are looking forward to crystal clear vis at that time of year, so please check them out!

PS Buy travel insurance at the same time as your tickets - we usually organise this later closer to trips, but this all happened in the space of a few days months before our stay, and we were fortunate enough that Bamboo Beach worked with us on getting everything sorted - other destinations might simply have left us with a cancellation notice and flights to nowhere.

I will write a full trip report in July.

Hi there!
I just got back from a week of diving from the Bamboo Beach Resort!

Well- This is what my experience was like:

When we (a group of divers) first got to the resort we were all pretty shocked because the place was practically still under construction. That did not make me happy at all since we were not told that beforehand!!!

I will spare you the details of how much we were "under construction" but tell you that if you are not planning to go there "tomorrow" but in 3-4 months from now you will probably be ok. Just make sure you get as much info as possible.
The bungalows were absolutely gorgeous- outdoor showers, large, very comfortable and all with ocean view- there is a steep hill to climb however (did not bother me)!
The food was more than plentyful and I have to say probably one of the most positive experiences during our stay! It was great.
One of the owners was at the hotel during our stay and I have to say that he can probably learn much from his wonderful staff...!
Customerservice from the manager (Nick) however and the staff was absolutely outstanding- by the end of the stay I felt like they were my family!!!! Thanks to them I ended up forgetting all the shortcomings in the beginning- now that means something...!
The diving is pretty advanced, beautiful softcoral, not many big animal encounters (I guess not typical for Fiji anyways) but overall I enjoyed it very much. Strong currents at times and I guess we were not excactly there during prime season (February). Many "virgin divesites" and a paradise for Macro lovers!
A big compliment to the dive crew- Dan-the manager of Bamboo Reef Divers (formerly Crystal Divers) was awsome- you could really tell that he cared if we enjoyed our dives...!

As as summery: in about 4-6 months I think this place will be on the road to become worldclass (just like Marlin Bay)- as long as they keep their people- customer service truly was what made me want to come back- and I work in sales for a scuba distributor and know what it means to provide the appropriate service!
Anyway- hope this is not TOO much info. Since we were only the second group to stay there I thought it might be helpful for people to know! Feel free to pass this on. Let me know if you have questions.

Scubaroo:
Okay, hopefully my last thread about Fiji resorts!

Bamboo Beach Resort (former Mokusigas Resort) - anyone been there yet? More interested in feedback about the resort itself - we've investigated the diving prospects in the area. Crystal Divers apparently has shifted premises to the resort, but we'd like to know what the resort itself is like - food, accommodation, level of amenities, activities, quality of service, etc. The resort is yet to put a new website up, and the website of Marlin Bay Resort (same management) has no info.

eek, we're booked for June 27! Hope the construction's finished by then!

Did you dive the Bligh Water, or just the fringing reefs? The Papuan Explorer wreck? Any shorediving, or all boat dives? What's the beach(es) like?

thanks for the review!

We actually dove mostly the Bligh Waters because conditions were not that optimal! However one of the best dives was a reef- I forget the name but can get it for you if you want-by the fringing reefs.
We did a shore dive- nothing spectacular. Probably also due to conditions.
When you go ask for Dan Grenier- he is in charge of diving there. Also ask for Nick- he is the manager at the place. Both are great guys that truly aim to please!
Also ask to do a village tour if you are interested- it was a great experience- the villagers on the main island are not yet used to vistors so they make it very special.
The island itself is extremly small- a amazing setting and the beaches are nice- not so much the "white sand" beach setting- rocky beaches are mixed with sandy ones- you really feel that you are in the tropics.
From what I saw they are really trying to get things done- you should be fine if you go in June!!!

Are you going with a group?

Scubaroo:
eek, we're booked for June 27! Hope the construction's finished by then!

Did you dive the Bligh Water, or just the fringing reefs? The Papuan Explorer wreck? Any shorediving, or all boat dives? What's the beach(es) like?

thanks for the review!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom