Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K3

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to diving, and am planning on going diving probably twice a year. What do you recommend for dive insurance?

thanks!

Be a Divers Alert Network member, and get DAN dive insurance. Scuba Diver Accident Insurance ? Insurance for Scuba ? DAN | Divers Alert Network
Also, you should consider trip insurance if you are going to exotic locations.

Last year, my wife fell and broke her ankle while we were on the second week of a two week/two location trip to Palau and Yap. Not a "dive" accident, but DAN insurance covers non-dive accidents if you are away on a dive trip. (See policy for details.) DAN insurance covered the medical and flew both of us back from Yap for stateside medical treatment. The trip insurance covered the missed second half of the trip. I cannot say too many great things about DAN.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you recommend the "Guardian", "Preferred" or "Master" plan?

Also, you should consider trip insurance if you are going to exotic locations.
DAN includes trip insurance for the highest tier of insurance. I'd have to look to see what it covers again.

Not a "dive" accident, but DAN insurance covers non-dive accidents if you are away on a dive trip. (See policy for details.)
Just a note, DAN covers any accident further than 50 miles from your home, diving or non-diving. They had an article in Alert Diver a while back about them covering the evacuation and treatment of a guy who was hurt mountain climbing in the Andes.

I, too, can't say enough good things about DAN.

K3:
Thanks for the feedback. Do you recommend the "Guardian", "Preferred" or "Master" plan?

Note the options available to Canadians are different than to those from the US. The three you mentioned are the ones available to us. Go with the maximum you can afford. I believe I pay $140 for the Guardian.

You may also want to look at the insurance offered to Canadian divers through RSA (Royal Sovereign). Somewhat cheaper with more coverage. We pay a hefty premium to DAN to pay for medical coverage we already have under our various Provincial plans.

Compare and decide.

The Canadian provincial insurance plans are inadequate for travel outside the country. They only pay/reimburse at provincial health insurance levels which are much lower than prices outside the country. They also do not pay for repatriation. If you rely on a provincial plan and get sick outside of the country, you will be left holding the bag for multiple thousands of dollars. Subscribe to DAN or an equivalent for peace of mind.

Yes, that is certainly true within the country. If you are paying DAN to cover you in the country you are paying for what you already have.

RSA covers you outside the country also.

Both have their advantages.

It pays to be informed and have a choice. DAN is not the only option for Canadians.

Regardless, of who's coverage you get, get covered.

I haven't looked into RSA but I will be sure to do so. I have DAN insurance despite provincial and private coverage because I dive in the St Lawrence. Some wrecks are on the American side and I'm paranoid - I figure there's always a chance (rare I'm sure) that should there be an emergency, that I could end up on the US side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom