Weirdest things you´ve seen scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwardjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so this might have been asked before but again I only did a quick check before posting so forgive me if it´s a repost!

The question is as you can see what is the strangest thing you´ve seen during your LIFETIME of diving? Yes, lifetime! Could be an object or an event, or better, both!

Mine was a turtle corpse floating around pretty much untouched except for the part where it was sliced slightly open by a propeller. The strange part is when I got to witness a turtle dissection class by our captain (who´s not at all a biologist nor a veterinarian) with the a hack saw and a kitchen knife (totally normal for captains right?).

It was pretty cool, sad for the turtle but we did make sure he wasn´t wasted :)

BillCorinneHolzer.jpg

Corrine Holzer riding on her husband Bill's tank.

The weirdest/strangest/funniest/grossest/ugliests/craziest things I've ever seen have all been other divers.

Seriously.

Diving on the Spiegel Grove a few years ago. Another diver hauled out about 6 feet of surgical hose and began to inflate it with a modified hose. Tube inflated then exploded with a huge bang.

He told me that it was an experiment when ssked about it afterwards.

You mean, OTHER than Dr Bill??? :D

In Bonne Terre Mine there is a place called the Smoke Room. The rust coming off of the iron pipes in the ultra slow current resemble smoke coming out of a smoke stack. It is completely surreal.

On a scallop dive at Bostaquet Bay, Kauwau Island the wife and I came across a pair of eyes sticking up out of the sand behind a large toothy mouth. After describing it to a fiend he identified it as a stargazer. It is really, really ugly, mostly buried in the sand with just the top of it's head and very front of it's body sticking out. Has very tiny eyes and large mouth. Camouflaged very well and almost didn't see it except it's head was near an empty scallop shell. It was about 35-40CM long with a diameter of about 8 CM and appeared to have a round but long sausage shaped body. It did not move but you felt it was watching and not scared of us.

Stargazer.jpg

Here is what it looks like hiding in the sand: Stargazer lunges from sand - Blairgowrie Marina.m4v - YouTube

Bert

Diving on a Key Largo reef with an instabuddy who was trying out new gear. We were drifting along nice and horizontal. About half way through the dive I looked over and his AL80 was pointing straight up like a buoy held in place only by the hoses. I immediately swam over to him and indicated an issue with his tank. He gave me a WTF you talking about look. I swam behind him and reattached the tank. After the dive he told me he thought it had felt a little different.

watching the stargazer resolutely re-bury itself reminds me of trying to get a teenager out of bed :)

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 10:20 PM ----------

posted from drysuits are standard land: I was diving a little quarry with friend's young adult kid who has been a diver 1/2 his life. It was a really nice summer day and the kid had a 7mm wetsuit. A few minutes into the dive I look over and he's upside down, bobbing along nicely balanced in midwater and clearly completely happy with pthe situation. He did it repeatedly and for minutes at a time troughtout the dive. Afterwards he told me he hadn't used a wetsuit since open water trainging and it was just so free and easy and fun he couldn't help himself. :)

Here's a stargazer in Lembeh a few months ago. About 10 sec after this photo we got to see it feed...amazing!! No pics of that, unfortunately.

12530892233_c7098e7465_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom