Some quick questions regarding doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1. Do you need a card to rent doubles most places?
2. Is using a 32lb wing with twin AL80s pushing it/risky?

Thanks.

1. No
2. No, if it's a 32lb doubles wing.

The problem with using a single tank wing with doubles is the spacing is FAR too narrow to fit doubles. This means your tanks will crush your bladder, severely reducing the actual lift. It could also puncture or create a "pinch-flat" in your wing. Many dive shops that rent doubles have a doubles wing laying around they wouldn't mind loaning/renting out to you. If you want several dives in doubles and have a hard time finding rental wings, you can always buy a doubles wing used for around $100 and resell it for the same price. I've done that twice, though I have yet to dive doubles.....I owned the wings then decided against it :D

I can dive double AL 80's with no wing. 32 lbs is more than enough.

A single tank wing can bend your plate if you use it with doubles.

Wow. Would love to see that happen :worship:
All wings have a OPV/dump valve that only requires a few pounds of pressure to open. Where is all this "force" coming from to bend a plate???
I must be careful next time, I might bend my cylinders too :confused:

It's about force over area. I'll dig up the pictures of it actually happening when I get a chance.

Wow. Would love to see that happen :worship:
All wings have a OPV/dump valve that only requires a few pounds of pressure to open. Where is all this "force" coming from to bend a plate???
I must be careful next time, I might bend my cylinders too :confused:

there was a thread on this a while back, and I was skeptical too. However, AJ convinced me that it can happen.

It may also depend on the tanks, plate and wing. I have 40# single wing that fits my twin 72's; more than enough lift for what I do.

However, You have to consider what you're lifting. Some divers use big steel doubles, which, depending on the exposure suit, can make your rig negative right off the hop. This creates a seperate discussion regarding which tanks to use with which exposure suit.

Added to that, if you are doing dives in which you carry a lot of gas (stages, big doubles) you will need to adjust for the gas you expend (negative at the start in order to be neutral at the end [to hold your stops]). An Al80 holds about 5lb's of air (someone can be more exact if they want) so a couple of stages and big doubles begin to add up.

Then add up whatever other operational kit you may be bringing along.

If you think you'll be diving doubles frequently picking up a doubles wing is the best route, especially if you own a backplate already. DiveAddicts has been running a sale for quite some time on old model year hollis wings. I bought the 60lb wing for my giant doubles, and you would want something smaller for al80s.

Does anyone have a link to that bending backplate thread? I'm interested now. I could see how being pinched towards the end would put a lot of leverage as the plate is only bolted in the middle.

edit: I see the thread was just added. And.... it wants me to register to view it. Darn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom