Which 2 or3 islands, and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning our next trip and would like some advice. Probably an open ended question but really looking for an idea of where to start researching. Since we are flying from east coast US, figure it's better to spend 2 weeks in Hawaii. So the question is which 2 or 3 islands are best for us, and what time of year? (I know to avoid the Christmas/New year holidays). Spring or fall is best for us to travel.

Some background:
Dive background: PADI OW+Nitrox certified about 70 logged dives, 55 of which over 3 visits to Bonaire (Buddy Dive), 15 in Roatan, Honduras (CocoView). Love to take video and photos, go slow and shallow (not over 60') Mostly boat diving though some shore diving.

We have been to the Big Island and Maui about 10 years ago, back before we were divers. Snorkelled both trips and loved it. We have since been certified and want to go back to Hawaii and dive there.

It doesn't seem like there are many (any?) "dive resorts" like Buddy's or Cocoview and it's more like "roll your own package" .. that's fine... just want to know where to start researching..... Or is there someone who puts packages together (i.e. 4 days on this island with this op, 4 days on this island with that op...) ?

Thanks!

There are no AI dive resorts in Hawaii. That's been discussed here before.

My short take on it - read some of my other posts here for more details - is go back and dive Maui and the Big Island. Maybe throw in Kauai but the problem is too much island-hpping really cuts into your dive days since all the flights are far enough away to be pressurized. Plus if you want to do any touristy things to elevation (Volcanoes, the observatory on the BI, bike down the crater on Maui - helo rides) you have to allow for that.

From Maui you have access to 3 other islands to dive. Molokini Crater is 15mins. from Kihei. The boats in that area all go there. It's the signature Maui dive, either inside, deep off the points or the backwall - frequently a live drop drift dive. Then they come back in and stay along the coast for afternoon dives - the ones that do them. Boats from Lahaina go to Lanai typically, the Cathedrals there are one of the other "must-do" dives. Lahaina Divers also runs Molokini every other day if you want to stay up in that area. Having stayed in both West and South Maui, I prefer the south. But we also rent a beachfront condo there so that may be a factor.

Additionally Lahaina Divers now does bluewater Hammerhead dives off Molokai once per week.

All up and down the coast you have shore dive options - most are shallower. Almost 2 dozen possibilities. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

On the Big Island, the signature dive is the Manta Night Dive. Most of the dive boats leave from the harbor just north of Kona so staying nearby might be convenient. IF you stay up near Waikoloa (it hasn't changed much in 10 years) you'll be driving down for that. The operators in the Waikoloa area only dive nearby typically. IMHO the farther south you go down the coast the better the diving. My buddy dove with about 500 spinner dolphins at a site pretty far south one day.

We like Kona Diving Company but Jack's Diving Locker is also often recommended. And you can also shore dive off Kona but the sites are farther apart and rougher to access - either longer carries or more likely you're having to traverse the black lava at the waters edge. Still, Place of Refuge is one worth the drive. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

Depending on when you go, Kauai could be a third option. During late fall-early spring the best of Kauai is undivable - Tunnels Beach on the north shore and Ni'ihau island off the NW coast. Most dive ops stop running there around Sept. 15th to sometime in May when the big waves start coming in. Vertical Awareness is probably one of the best dives in Hawaii though if you can get out there. It's an all day trip and they'd like to see an advanced card - or at least recent logged dives on Hawaii.

Otherwise most of the diving is based around Poipu to the south, the signature Kauai dive is Sheraton Caverns. I also liked/recommend Fast Lanes - good dive. Koloa Landing is a good shore dive 10mins. away. There's not as many good shore dives off Kauai. I liked Seasport Divers - others recommend Fathom Five. If you haven't been to Kauai, it makes Maui look like a desert island by comparison - it's really lush. One of the canyons there is the wettest spot on Earth. Seems like it briefly rained every day.

I've not spent a lot of time on Oahu and none diving so others can comment on it. Too much traffic/tourists for my taste. The little aquarium in town is worth a trip if you go - there's something there that they're one of few aquariums in the world that show it. Maybe live Nautilus?

I've got to agree with diversteves take on maui. The others I have no experience with for diving. :(
The Carthaginian and night diving Mala pier are worthwhile as well IMO.

Maui # 1, Kona #1 1/2. I have dove at different times of the year, and October and November are good times for calmer conditions. That is all I will say. Get on line, call some operators, and build you trip. Everyone has there preferences. Some of the recommendations are because that's the only site or sites the responder has dove. PM me for more info if you like, as I have lots of experience on Maui, less so on Kona.
DivemasterDennis

I just returned from Big Island Hawaii and did one day of diving with Jack's. I have also been to Roatan and had some dives similar to your experience. I have done a few dives in Kauii as well. Kona diving is near shore since there are drop offs, so dealing with current, surge and breakwater is challenging. Shark sitings are prevalent. I did get into some trouble with surges near caves in Kona (with a 6 ft white tip shark present) and was surfaced in breakwater. It was difficult to get shored with full gear. If diving in Kona, wear full gear including gloves. Kauii is a bit easier and well staffed. Good luck and hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom