diving in chicago ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d.j.n

Registered
Reaction score
i am doing a residendy in chicago frome late june to early september
i live in australia and was wondering if there is any good diving
in chicago ?
thanks

d.j.n

Basically you have:
- Lake Michigan: many wrecks - deep and (very) cold water
- Several quarries that get silted up very quickly because of the many divers. Good for training though.
At least you're picking the right time: the dive season here is pretty much May-October.

d.j.n:
i am doing a residendy in chicago frome late june to early september
i live in australia and was wondering if there is any good diving
in chicago ?
thanks

d.j.n

Well....Lake Michigan doesn't have to be deep dives. The south end is quite shallow and there are several wrecks for the exploring. Even up Milwaukee way ( Willy ) it's still under 100ft and it great diving. It will be somewhat cold, but vis will be decent until the algea bloom in probably July. Then you have to get underneath it to get vis. Maybe 60ft and lower. Lots of charters around to choose from.
Quarries include Haigh ( www.haighquarry.com ) Lots of classes there so it can get stirred up especially on the shallow side. There is also Pearl lake ( www.pearllake.com ) I've not been particularly impressed with the vis or the fish there but hey it's water. Gilboa is a 4 to 4 1/2 hr drive ( www divegilboa.com ) and Wazee lake in Wis is a few hours away and good diving as well.
Drop me a line when you get here and I'll be happy to get wet with you.

Keep an eye on the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum. We should be getting togeather a number of times this season.

thanks a lot
i am now looking forward to my trip a lot more
scary luggage scenario
d.j.n

d.j.n:
thanks a lot
i am now looking forward to my trip a lot more
scary luggage scenario
d.j.n

If ya forget something, I have lots of gear :)

Go see Captain Bob at divechicago.com he runs a charter boat full time and is the only guy that goes out weekdays during the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom