Nomad Old School Kit - CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all...

I've been sidemounting now with the Nomad and using the ring bungees, no real issues, except i've had a couple break now prior to entering the water, which results in having to just clip the snap locks off onto the d ring and deal with it or last one - packed up and went home.

My question is... what's everyones opinion in adopting the method most of the other manufacturers are using and wrap shock cord around the stage?

Has anyone got some photos of the CA old school kit in use and how it's set up?

Cheers

Blackie

I've never been a big fan of the ring bungee system. They don't seem to be able to get cylinders trimmed out easily. I have yet to see a diver using ring bungees that has had trimmed tanks. Not sure why yours are breaking. That shouldn't be happening and isn't a ring bungee issue but more likely a shock cord issue. I've been using loop style bungees for several years now. I use thinner shock cord than most people. It's a matter of preference and it also seems to work better. I've had students use thicker cord and they usually end up switching to the thinner cord as well. Here are some photos of the way I have had my rig set up - Rig Modifications « Rob Neto

Do you find that running the shock cord over the wing causes it to trap air or impede on the wing when the cylinders are wrapped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

Thinking of doing this...
3umupavy.jpg
but with the nomad obviously...

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 07:52 PM ----------

This is what I was talking about the wing...
yhupunam.jpg

Yes, I have. Years ago, before I went to my current rigging method, I got stuck in a restriction because air was trapped in the wing by the bungees. That bungee method was designed with the intent of trapping air in the wing to keep it lower and help trim. I'm not a believer in that. If you have a wing failure and you are depending on your wing for trim then you won't be able to maintain trim any longer. Personally, I've had 2 wing failures and know a few other divers that have also had wing failures, so it's not that uncommon. I prefer to route the cord under the wing so there is no air trapping.

Can you show me a photo of that rigging through behind wing?

I can try to get something this week. There's not much to it. All you see is the wing. The wing does stay tucked down because I route the bungee through a tab on the edge of the wing to keep it tucked down.

Without getting into a long drawn out discussion on the pros and cons of loops and rings....I just chance out my bungees on my Nomad every spring. Just like I service my regulators and tanks.

Reggie in NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just bought the old school kit and put it on.
It has worked fine ever since now I have been diving the modded SMS.
Try it see what you think.

JCG

Without getting into a long drawn out discussion on the pros and cons of loops and rings....I just chance out my bungees on my Nomad every spring. Just like I service my regulators and tanks.

Reggie in NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The bungees in the photos on my website are the original ones I placed there in 2008 and are the ones that are still on that rig. I have close to 1000 dives on that particular rig and never had an issue with the bungees breaking or getting worn.

Back
Top Bottom