Looking at a point and shoot, which one???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moray71

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix L28 but am still in the process of reading up on them. I prefer Nikon but am open to other brands. Any suggestions? This will be a back up camera for when I am not doing a photo oriented dive, and for just everyday carry-around.

Sony rx100 OR rx100 II
or OM-D E-M5 Olympus is you got more bucks for the 3/4 mirrorless

Highly recommend the Sony RX100 but recommend good strobes to get the best use out of it (I would imagine the same applies with the OM-D EM-5). The sensor is a good size for a compact camera and good lighting will let you get the most our of it.

By far the best bang for your buck is the Panasonic Lumix TS5 in an Ikelite housing. You will be into it for around $500-$600USD. Takes excellent photos and video. The biggestest difference is going to come with a good light or strobe.

Check out my photo website, everything on there is taken with the TS5, Ikelite housing and SOLA dive light:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123625673@N06/

I spent hours looking at different camera/housing combos and settled on this. One of my buddies did as well and has not been disappointed. The TS5 is also waterproof to 43ft so if you do get a flood the camera should survive.

-M

Sorry, but I cant agree with the TS5 being the best option. Its cheap, but its also pretty much half the camera the RX100 is. When it comes to the sensor its a quarter the camera the RX100 is...

The MAIN issue apart from a low res, small sensor is of course the lack or RAW format on the TS5...

Sorry, but I cant agree with the TS5 being the best option. Its cheap, but its also pretty much half the camera the RX100 is. When it comes to the sensor its a quarter the camera the RX100 is...

The MAIN issue apart from a low res, small sensor is of course the lack or RAW format on the TS5...

The vast majority of entry level UW photographers could care less about shooting in raw. I think wetting your feet with a cheaper camera first is the best way to get into UW photography. The RX100 is a much better camera but it is also an extra $400 to get underwater. Having good buoyancy skills and basic photography knowledge will get you a lot farther than an expensive camera. I suppose it is personal preference wether the person is willing to spend the extra $400.

Spending $1000 once is better than spending $500 first and then $1000 more later when you realize that really, you do want more features and better quality.
Reality is that most people when getting into UW photography really don't know what they want and/or need...
Even if you've got a fair bit of experience shooting on land its easy to underestimate how things change when you start shooting moving objects through a liquid that absorbs different colors of light at different rates, in which you yourself is suspended and trying to hold your gear steady...

I think you make a good point that new UW photographers don't know what they want. That is why I would suggest spending as little as possible to start, getting your feet wet, then spend the big money later. Personally I took this path and have been quite happy going from cheap P&S to DSLR instead of strait to DSLR.

BTW, checked out your Flickr... nice stuff man!

Thans.
I would not recommend going straight to DSLR either cause that's a price range and a hassle for the "particularly interested"..

I do however feel that RAW format, as well as Av and Tv modes should be a minimum requirement for any underwater camera. The RAW format most of all because it contains so much more information for you to work out issues with color and light that you easilly run into under water, especially if you also choose not to bring a strobe - something that works surprisingly well in tropical locations and "not so much" in the north atlantic :p

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom