The weirdest things of your weirdest captain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwardjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello again forum :D

So my question this time is: What is the weirdest thing (according to your own definition of weird) that you´ve seen/heard your captain do/say on or off the boat, in or out of the water? Could be a regular/friend or a one time trip.

My experiences weren't any too extreme, but I certainly found one really weird. We were eating together on our boat between dives in our casual clothing (him included) and things were pretty quiet, a few laughs, a few talks... All of a sudden the cap' decides to dance around the deck, singing then fell to the ground while keeping up the dance and soon after jumped into the water, fully clothed. When I asked the crew about it they said it's not unusual and it's not the first time. I have also heard that he dove to 200 ft with no tri. Maybe these are related :acclaim:

Ed.

Had a captain on a Channel Islands liveaboard in 1998 who had an old Mike Nelson style regulator and hose set up and an ancient rust colored wet suit. I was never sure if he was gearing up for a dive or for a costume party, though he did actually dive in that gear.
DivemasterDennis

Had a Captain turn off Hubby's Air, instead of making sure it was on, on our first OW dive after our certification.

When we surfaced with hubby buddy breathing off me, Captain said he wasn't a diver .... of course, turns out he was.

Weirdness.

On the positive, we learned I'm calm in an emergency.

On the negative, Hubby is still haunted by the out of air incident.

Captn beached a liveaboard once on a sand bar. Late at night he tried going into the wrong "harbour".

One that would ceremoniously recite a quote at the appropriate moment...

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee
she died at the age of a honnert an three
for fifteen years, she kept her virginity...
not a bad record- for this vicinity."

(extra points if you know the famous Captain he was quoting)

Captn beached a liveaboard once on a sand bar. Late at night he tried going into the wrong "harbour".

Turks and Caicos?

Had a Captain turn off Hubby's Air, instead of making sure it was on, on our first OW dive after our certification.
That's not weird, that's negligence. Yet another reason I don't like diving off the port side (they can easily grab your valve) or let anyone touch my valve without my permission. I despise this "1/2 turn back" nonsense.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 06:24 PM ----------

(extra points if you know the famous Captain he was quoting)
There are alot of divers who were around in 1975...

Turks and Caicos?
Roatan.
I should have said mud bar instead of sand bar. It was the boats last trip. We never ventured more than about 300 yards from shore all week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom