Temperatures in Maldives during May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yongsw

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Maldives for a liveaboard during May and I'm not sure what I have is enough. I normally dive in tropical waters around Malaysia so what I wear is just boardshorts and a rashguard.

I have read that temperatures range around 26-30 degree Celsius, would a rashguard and boardshots be good enough? I'm currently using a Mares 0.5mm long sleeve rashguard...
I am just an advanced OW diver, so nothing deeper than 30m I guess.

I just got back at the beginning of April. Water temp 84F, Air temp high of 85F, low of 80F. I dove .5 mil, some dove in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. I realize its get colder, but at 5 degrees from the Equator, I wouldn't expect too much of a variation. You always layer.

Having worked 3 years in the Maldives (2010 until the end of 2013) the water was pretty much all the time between 28°C and 30°C. Sometimes dropping to 27°C or even (but very rarely) to 26°C (in outer channels for example, with incoming current.)
I dived 3mm long suit for a while, then shorty 2.5mm, adding a 2.5mm shirt sometimes. My boyfriend always dived with a short and a rash shirt and never got cold.

Back
Top Bottom