Treasure hunting....fresh water lakes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings! My question is two fold. I'm thinking about making a summer hobby of treasure hunting in two fresh water lakes. I have one very large lake with residences all around it within 5 mins from my house. The second is about an hour away, if I have success at the first, maybe will consider going there eventually.

I will be looking for two things. Jewelry and bottles. Both could be covered by god only knows how much silt. Thinking bottles might be lucrative at depths over 15-20'. For jewelry, was considering a metal detector. Any suggestions? I don't expect a ton of success, but one never knows. I'm thinking steep dropoffs close to shore as opposed to away from shore. Swimming beaches (under the water), etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers! Bill

---------- Post added April 13th, 2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

Ok, I did a search after posting this. I think I found all my answers. :)

Don't overlook anchors, fishing tackle, rods & reels, nets, sunglasses and so on. I've picked up a lot of gear off the bottom of lakes, some hits the trash, some gets traded or sold and a few things I keep.

Good luck

Bob
-----------------------------------
Even a blind pig gets an acorn once in a while.

Well share!

Well, I haven't decided on which detector yet. There are alot of models, features, etc. Will do some homework over the next few weeks. As far as treasure hunting, for me it's about having something to do while diving. The second largest lake in the state is 5 minutes away, and there are 7 beaches that I can think of that get ALOT of people swimming all summer long. So those would be a good start in the jewelry department. I'm more interested in bottles myself, old ones. That is a technique that does not include a detector. We shall see how it goes. Maybe I can reply to this thread in the fall, with a picture of any valuables I might have found. :) Wouldn't that be cool!

Bill

The second largest lake in the state is 5 minutes away, and there are 7 beaches that I can think of that get ALOT of people swimming all summer long.

You might find it problematic to try detecting while the swimming area is in use.

Here is a video of a few dives I did awhile ago. You can FF through it to find the "Dive Booty" I acquired after each one:

[video=youtube;YGp5R-4m3Rw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGp5R-4m3Rw[/video]

That was pretty dang cool! I still have a long way to go, I think, before I'm scouring lake beds for treasure, but this is certainly motivational.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom