Dive sites near Wichita Kansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK,... I'm looking to see if there is anyplace near Wichita deeper than a cattle tough :D to conduct Open Water dives. I have a cousin who made some bad decisions in life & is currently on parole with severe travel restrictions. He called me & said he was trying to get his life back in order & do right by himself & his loved ones. He asked if I might be able to work with him & certify him as an open water diver, as he would like to go into commercial diving. After receiving blessing from my LDS to do it,.. now I need to figure out logistics,.. especially with his restrictions (50 mi. radius from Wichita). Any ideas? Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Having lived in Kansas for 11 years... I've heard of a lake in OK called Tenkiller; never dove it, and don't know how far it is. You may be sort of stuck...There's a few lakes in the area, but I think they're shallow and more for decoration.

Maybe you can find a deeper stockpond? <--- only half joking.

Lake Wilson, Wilson, Kansas -- wherever that is. 137 miles from Witchita. Maybe his parole officer will give him a bit more leash.

Wilson is quite far, and in the North Central part of the State. I didn't like it for diving, though.

Of course, that was a year where that was my first dive after a trip to Bonaire and Key Largo. :D

I wish you guys well. There are NO dive sites anywhere within 50 miles of Wichita, Kansas.

Commercial diving, that is a hard row to hoe in Kansaw. It is a very challenging field to break into even in coastal areas that support offshore commercial diving. May I suggest diesel engine mechanic. There is also an excellent votec school system in Wichita and another field taught there is NDI (Non Destructive Inspection).

N

Tenkiller L. is SE of Tulsa, maybe 180 miles from Wichita. I THINK I've heard diving is pretty decent there.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm guessing my cousin is willing to go where the work is, once his parole is completed, he wants to get into underwater welding (already has welding certs.) I'm jusy trying to help give him a start. He still has a few months to go to complete his parole obligation.

I know there's a "private lake" in Wichita where Amberwaves, one of the LDS' in Wichita, sometimes does open water certs for people who can't make it to Beaver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom