M/Y Vasco Tubbataha Trip 3 - 9 April 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Tse

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was onboard M/Y Vasco to dive Tubbataha Reef during the period 3 - 9 April 2014.

The service provided by the vessel was a total failure. I emphasized and underlined, it was TOTAL FAILURE.

Below was what I experienced.

(1). The sewage system was shameful.

- The toilet was very smelly. Even though I closed the toilet/shower door, I still smelled it in my cabin, like it had a dozen rotten eggs inside.

- Then the toilet started to make blobbing noise the whole night and when I passed my motion sitting on it, it spitted dirt water up to my bottom. It was so disgusting.

- And then, I flushed and the dirt water flooded back and overflown.

It was so disturbing and I ended up only spending time inside the cabin during the sleeping hours. I spent the rest of my time on the main deck using their only functional main deck toilet.

(2). I had a dive surfacing without the sight of the pick up dinghy. We blew our sausages and beeped our Dive Alert for over 15 minutes, there was no sight of our dinghy. We ended up being picked up by Palawan Discovery's dinghy and the nice kind-hearted boatman took us all the way to M/Y Vasco.

After our conversation with the cruise manager and the boatman, we found out that the DM and the boatman miscommunicated, the dive group drifted one direction, the boatman took the dinghy to the other direction with the mother ship in the middle blocking their views.

It was a clear day with minimal swell, we were lucky. I want to thank the Palawan Discovery's boatman for his professionalism in seamanship.

(3). The dive mastering standard was way below standard.

First of all, they only did briefing like this on the dinghy "max depth 25 meters, maximum dive time 50 minutes". Then once back rolled, they swam forward without looking back until the agreed dive time elapsed.

There was absolutely no interaction and engagement with the group underwater.

They were hard working though, was very keen to help divers during transiting between mother ship and dinghy, was very helpful to shift your tanks in the dinghy so that the donning was very easy.

At the end of the trip, I decided I will not come back to M/Y Vasco. Their service provided was SIMPLY A SHAME.

Hi Tom

Sorry that you had such a bad trip...a bit too much information in parts ...I read it while having dinner. I hope that it hasn't put you off the Philippines where the land based operations are superb.

Thanks for warning us all though.

Best fishes x

Hi Tom

Sorry that you had such a bad trip...a bit too much information in parts ...I read it while having dinner. I hope that it hasn't put you off the Philippines where the land based operations are superb.

Thanks for warning us all though.

Best fishes x

Hi Tippytoes,

I am sorry to be gross in describing my experience. I just want to report the fact.

I have been diving Philippines many years, I have had excellent times over and over again with the land-based resorts. I will continue to go back. But I will not take any trip with M/Y Vasco.

Safe diving,

Tom

Besides what sounds like a bad operator, how was the diving?

Hi jjwebster,

The diving was below my expectation. We made 16 dives, we had only one dive in Delsen Wreck that could be classified as "exciting" with sharks and ample fish life. Although we had a very short glance of 5 eagle rays in one of the dive, the rest of the dives were simply boring. On the second day, we anchored by Black Rock, and they dropped us there for all 3 dives. My buddy made a complaint that he swam past the same barrel sponge 3 times :-(

The reef at the southern tip of the North Atoll was badly damaged. It was in horrible state.

Tom

hi Tom,

Next Time, I do recommend Palawan Discovery. I'm with them last transition trip. Me and my group all have fun.
Boat is all but newly renovated. A/C was not that cold, but just not use the blanket. Interior was nice. Neatly done.
Food was good. Dive operation was professional...

Hello Tom,

I just got back with Stella Maris and it was extremely good. Extremely professional group run by the boat manager Colin. The boat was just refurbished so it was excellent. Thanks form the info on Vasco, I will stay away.

David

Hi Guys,

Please check out this video from Calypso adventure.
Tubbataha Reef 2014 - YouTube

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 03:34 AM ----------

Hello Tom,

I just got back with Stella Maris and it was extremely good. Extremely professional group run by the boat manager Colin. The boat was just refurbished so it was excellent. Thanks form the info on Vasco, I will stay away.

David

HI David,

Thanks for joining our tour.
It was great to have you guys,
we 'll keep finding ways to improve the new Stella Maris.
Many thanks for the compliment.

Regards,

Lars

Thanks Orangehead..... I will try Palawan Discovery... after all it was their dinghy man picking us up ... I had very good impression of them :)

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

Good to hear you had great time with Stella Maris.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 02:47 PM ----------

Hi Lars,

Impressive boat, impressive video. Even a sighting of Marlin and diving Jessie Bealey. People said it wasn't worth it. But your video proved not.

I must join your vessel next season.

Tom

Hi Guys,

Please check out this video from Calypso adventure.
Tubbataha Reef 2014 - YouTube

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 03:34 AM ----------

HI David,

Thanks for joining our tour.
It was great to have you guys,
we 'll keep finding ways to improve the new Stella Maris.
Many thanks for the compliment.

Regards,

Lars

Thanks Orangehead..... I will try Palawan Discovery... after all it was their dinghy man picking us up ... I had very good impression of them :)

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

Good to hear you had great time with Stella Maris.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 02:47 PM ----------

Hi Lars,

Impressive boat, impressive video. Even a sighting of Marlin and diving Jessie Bealey. People said it wasn't worth it. But your video proved not.

I must join your vessel next season.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the compliment,the video from Calypso would attest to Tubbataha's beauty.
Looking forward to having you.

Lars

Back
Top Bottom