Wolf eels on the oil rigs?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here's photographic proof from none other than Power Scuba member Lida Chaipat (during last weekends group trip)!

wolf eel on rigs.jpeg

Very very cool.

Bill

Interesting... never seen one on a rig, but then I've yet to see one period! Hoping to change that on my next trip to Sandy Eggo.

Incredible photo by Lida!

Bill, you should try to get down to the Hogan next time you're in town! They're pretty reliable there, and it's a beautiful wreck to boot. :)

Interesting... never seen one on a rig, but then I've yet to see one period! Hoping to change that on my next trip to Sandy Eggo.

Never ?!?! My fondest memory of a wolf eel was at Farnsworth. Was swimming around in the open, did a "curiousity fly by", then perched itself on a ledge out in the open. Sat there for a good while, then it was time to head up. It was a huge eel, as well.

They're everywhere here.
LongBeach3_zpsca85eaf5.jpg

While I'm not ready to agree that they're everywhere yet, I AM noticing more of them and at varied locations. Even La Jolla Shores and Scripps Canyon have some. (Though I agree the Hogan is still the most reliable place for them.)

Always a good find when they're discovered.

And if they're even on the rigs now... maybe they ARE everywhere! :)

Bill

While I'm not ready to agree that they're everywhere yet, I AM noticing more of them and at varied locations. Even La Jolla Shores and Scripps Canyon have some. (Though I agree the Hogan is still the most reliable place for them.)

Always a good find when they're discovered.

And if they're even on the rigs now... maybe they ARE everywhere! :)

Bill
I've found them at La Jolla Shores, White Point and Redondo Beach as well as on the African Queen, Fog Wreck, Olympic II, Moody, UB88 and Caissons.

Never ?!?! My fondest memory of a wolf eel was at Farnsworth. Was swimming around in the open, did a "curiousity fly by", then perched itself on a ledge out in the open. Sat there for a good while, then it was time to head up. It was a huge eel, as well.

Interesting. I've dived Farnsworth a number of times to depths of 200 fsw and never saw one there... yet! Thanks for letting me know.

As for diving "the Big Island," I really should do more of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom