Short alu 80 cu tank, would it be fitting for a sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Leisure pro (maybe others as well) sell a "neutral" aluminum tank: Catalina 80 Cubic Neutrally Buoyant Aluminum Tank with Pro Valve at LeisurePro

Thing is, they are shorter than common aluminum 80cu.

[The Neutrally Buoyant 80 cu ft cylinder has a 7.25" diameter and is 25.1" tall having the same diameter as a standard aluminum 80 yet, is slightly shorter than the standard 80.]

Standard Catalina is 28.8".

Do you think it is more convenient to sidemount with a normal 80 than the neutral short version?

The shorter the tank is, the more difficult it is to balance between the clip offs and it presents a higher profile. The side mount tank of my dreams is a high pressure steel 90-100 that is about 6" x 36". They don't make'em. I have actually thought about using some tall skinny steel Oxygen tanks but the pressure is only about 1880psi.

Note: do not use double compact "neutral buoyant" AL80 tanks (3300psi/220bar; "c80" stamped ID) --too short & heavy with bad balance trim characteristics as it empties for a small 9kg/20lb wing (UTD Z-trim). Might as well go with a larger wing and higher volume capacity steel tanks rather than the hassle of trimming out with compact AL80's.

Use only standard 3000psi/200bar AL80's (Luxfer or Catalina; "s80" ID) --the usual & ubiquitous tanks supplied by dive-ops for rental worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom