Active diver re-certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As an active diver (25 dives a year) would you join a club that wants you to do an OW pool certification every year?

If you're only diving ~25x/yr, an annual refresher seems like it would make a lot of sense.

25 dives a year would compute to 6 dives every 3 months, why would you need a refresher course if you're diving that frequently? And from what I've seen, a refresher course and an OW pool certification are different things.

or about 2 dives a month or 1x/month depending on if you are counting a 2 tank dive as 1 dive or 2 in that calculation.
no i wouldn't want to join that club personally in regards to that issue. unless they are providing the pool & everything for free for doing it. it's not a bad idea to make sure all your skills are current etc.. but there are reasonable limits..

Depends, if they were all done within a month and then 11 months without diving, then a refresher makes sense.
And there's nothing wrong with going to the pool, I've gone several times of my own free will.
I belonged to a club where anyone 6 months out of the water had to go snorkeling :)

If I was to stop shortly, when I have my 25 dives and not get in the water for the next 8 months, I could see the need for a refresher.

The only advantage I could see would be if you did not practice any drills during the year while you are diving. Of course, their club their rules.

As far as joining goes, I'm with Groucho:
“I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

How much does it cost? If it's nominal or free, why not? Reviewing the emergency skills most of us never have an need to practice for real can't hurt anything.

If it's the cost of an OW certification class, well, that's ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom