Great diving and decent internet access?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Posted a similar thread in the Indonesia forum. I'm planning to spend some time diving in the Philippines later this year and need to have reliable internet access while I'm there.

So, open question: where can you get 3G or better internet access that has good diving? Internet should be sufficiently good for Skype video calls. As for the diving -- wide angle preferred, with an interest in soft corals and schooling fish (yes, I know this is a tall order in the Philippines). No liveaboards. Short boat rides to sites if possible :) -

Malapasqua? - I've been told Globe has reliable 3G coverage
Sogod Bay? -- ?? Wifi at Southern Leyte Divers was awful last time I was there, but perhaps cellular is better?
Dauin - ?
Anilao - ?
Puerto Galera - ?
Panglao/Cabilao in Bohol?
Borocay - ?

Other recommendations?

Liquid Dumaguete has awesome diving anno I seem to remember that the internet access was fine.
It a wonderful lodge run by a lovely British Canadian couple , the food is fab and everybody eats together. It is also incredible value, cute sea facing cottages ensuite but no air con , in a flower filled garden.

We stayed at Pura Vida in Dauin about 2 years ago and the wifi was fine (and we liked the place and dive op.) At the time they only claimed wifi coverage near the bar, but we got it in our room. Probably depends on room location.

I got not so good 3g coverage from globe at Malapascua last Year may. I think expecting video calling bitrates is too optimistic.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. So, so far,

Dumuaguette/Dauin resorts -- seems promising. This map suggests there's 3G covereage on Smart & Globe.
Malapasqua -- maybe 3g, was told Globe had upgraded their antenna there last month;
Sogod Bay -- no, no 3g, land-based internet also not great
Bohol -- 3g according to the map, fibre may be coming soon.

Any other insights?

3g is decent in Bohol.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Although 3G is available in most places (SMART has the best coverage in general, Globe maybe second) what you will find are speeds are inconsistent and often so slow they're unusable for large periods of time.
Also, not sure if you need access to it but both SMART and Globe block all access to VPNs on their 3G services.

Sebang has internet in most accommodation, not particularly fast but ok to keep up with the world.
3G the same but patchy. Talk to dive shops or accommodation places.
skype video a bit of a stretch in most dive places in the Philippines though.

Some parts of Subic now get Smart 4G/LTE coverage. The rest is 3G (Glove is best, but there are dead spots), but can be slow at peak, holidays and weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom