NSS-CDS Legal Defense Fund - We need your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tflaris

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dear friends
I am writing to ask for your assistance. As you may know, the NSS-CDS has been involved in a lengthy and costly law suit against us. (Spencer vs. Cave Diving Section of the National Speleological Society).

As you can imagine, the cost of legal fees, in order to defend ourselves, are impairing the organization and our ability to meet our mission statement which is the promotion of the conservation, exploration, and study of underwater caves; and secondly the education for increased awareness, safety, and skill in cave diving.

Your financial assistance is needed with these legal expenses which are in excess of $10,000 with no definite end in sight.

Please consider making a donation to the NSS-CDS to help us with these legal expenses. All of the monies received will go directly to cover our legal defense in the lawsuit against us.

You can donate online using the link below:
Legal Defense Donation Fund - NSS-CDS

No amount is too small or too large. I urge you to give as much as you can and as often as you can.

Together we can do great things…..

Sincerely,

Tony Flaris
904-210-4550
vicechairman@nsscds.org

Vice Chairman
Cave Diving Section of the National Speleological Society

What is the crux of their complaint? I searched google for the case mentioned and only found a bunch of news articles. None of the articles mention any wrongdoing by any but the divers.

I donated.. figure I'm hoping to hold an nsscds card by the end of the year, I'd like it to still be around.

The incident was at School Sink in 2008. School Sink is one of the 3 properties owned by the NSS-CDS.

A wrongful death suit was filed against the NSS-CDS by one of the widows.

Neither diver was cave trained.

Thank you for supporting the NSS-CDS.

Tony Flaris
904-210-4550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the crux of their complaint? I searched google for the case mentioned and only found a bunch of news articles. None of the articles mention any wrongdoing by any but the divers.

I donated.. figure I'm hoping to hold an nsscds card by the end of the year, I'd like it to still be around.

An incredible thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...school-sink-aka-waynes-world-hudson-fl-4.html

If you don't have the patience to read the entire thing, skip to the last post.

I assume the NSS-CDS has liability insurance. Correct? I teach math, a pretty low risk activity, and I carry liability.

Steve
It's my understanding from previous BoD members that Property Liability Insurance that allows cave diving on the properties is cost prohibitive.

Once again many of these decisions were made by prior BoD's.

All that we can do now us come together and weather the storm.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't give up. I discovered that it worked fine when I did it through my iPad rather than my desktop. Probably something about the browser or some of my extensions.

Good luck, guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom