God's Pocket Fire | Nautilus Swell Sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It has been a tough month for Pacific Northwest dive operators.

First off, there was a devastating fire at God's Pocket that took out generators, compressors, pumps, batteries, and desalinators. Next we learned that Nautilus Swell will cease operations the end of this year. The boat has already been sold.

For those of you who would like to help Bill and Annie get back on their feet, we are encouraging folks to purchase a God's Pocket gift card, and pay it forward back to the resort. To purchase a God’s Pocket Gift Card by Credit Card, either call 250.949.1755, or e-mail info@godspocket.com. Checks can be sent to God's Pocket, PO Box 130, Port Hardy BC V0N-2P0.

Here is Bill and Annie's description of what happened.

"On April 14th at 6pm we were all sitting around an amazing dinner which all of us at God’s Pocket had assisted in preparing for our 12 wonderful friends. The power went out.

Shortly after a 1-minute stroll to the generator shed, we found ourselves scrabbling for fire hoses and pumps, making an emergency call to coast guard and coordinating a safe evacuation of 14 people and one pooch. Thirty minutes later there was nothing left of our entire infrastructure. Our generator shed and all equipment were melted down to nothing. No one was injured. Loads of tears and scratching of the heads, but otherwise all is well.

Many of you asked what you could do to help. At this point we mostly need to get our ducks in a row before we start making calls to accept all the offers of labor. We aren’t quite prepared for that yet but we will be very soon. The one thing that would be most helpful to us is cash flow. We are not looking for charity; we invite you to visit our website and see if there are any dates that appeal to you in the 2015/2016 season. Your deposits will be very helpful in rebuilding God’s Pocket.

We have new gift cards that can be purchased for your own use, or to pass on to a friend. The gift cards will have no expiry date and can be purchased in the following denominations: $100, $250, $500, $1000 and $2,500."

GP_Fire.jpg
Smoke from generator house fire. Courtesy Richard Salas

GP_Fire_2.jpg
Generator house after fire. Courtesy Bill Weeks

It looks like the guest and dining areas were spared, which is fortunate. God's Pocket is on my to do list, and is to be the subject of my local dive clubs meeting later this month. I was thinking of the 2016 season and will look into the deposit/vouchers. I'm scheduled to be on the Swell this summer, has there been any word as to what purpose the new owners intend to put it? I'm curious to see what the island based Nautilus dive op will look like, I presume it will be modeled on operations like that at God's Pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom