The Ultimate Caribbean Dive Expedition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan Cunningham

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
THE PLAN:
I will depart from Hamilton, Ontario and sail up through 1000 Islands to Oswego. From there through the canal systems all the way down to Fort Lauderdale. From Fort Lauderdale I will island hop down the Caribbean to Grenada and back to Antigua. During the trip I will be stopping to inspect dive sites/operators and hotels. This will further my destination knowledge and increase my network of the best dive operators in the Eastern Caribbean. The Islands to be covered on this trip will include the Bahamas (Grand Bahama, Abaco, Exumas, San Salvador, Nassau) Turks & Caicos (Provo, Grand Turk, Salt Cay, French Cay, West Caicos), The Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Spanish, US and British Virgin Islands, St Martins, Saba, St Kitts & Nevis, Antigua, Montserrat, Guedeloupe, Dominica, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Grenada and Grenadines. I will be writing a blog on the diving, recommended dive shops and suitable hotels for each of these destinations. As well as adventures and mishaps on the way. And if I get lost, "I'll just stop at the nearest island and ask directions".

If anyone has any "favorite" dive sites in any of these destinations, please let me know. If you have any dive operators you would recommend I check out, please let me know. If you are a dive operator and would like me to stop by and include you, please pm me.

I be posting dive reports here on ScubaBoard, as well as running a blog on the entire trip. (with photos and videos.)

I think you would be remiss to skip the Keys, especially the Dry Tortugas, especially if you have your own boat. The park has excellent diving, and the Ecological reserve has even better. The wrecks in the Keys shouldn't be missed.

Spiegal Grove, Molasses Reef, Duane, Conch Reef, Looe Key, Vandenberg, The Temple (near Marquesas Rock Shoal, no mooring, so live boat or anchor), Texas Rock, The Windjammer Wreck, and Cooper's Reef. Texas Rock and Windjammer Wreck are in Dry Tortugas National Park. Cooper's is in the Dry Tortugas Ecological Reserve (No cost Permit Required). I have numbers for any or all of them. A week is pushing it if you hit the Miami to Palm Beach track also.....

Just so you know, when you hit French Cay or West Caicos - it'll just be you and the seagulls..:D
West Caicos is a 9 square mile island that is currently uninhabited but is being developed as the future home of the most exclusive Ritz Carlton community in the ...
except it's kind of in limbo..

And your boat might be taller than French Cay...

view-of-french-cay-from.jpg

Not my picture but I'm guessing it's taken at one of the dive moorings. It's hard to judge perspective but it's not a big island.

Outstanding diving though. Always see sharks off both. And turtles. I believe - but not positive - that the Salt Cay operator comes over from Provo also. It's a pretty small place - 2 restaurants on the whole island.

On to the BVI's:

You can moor off Salt Island and dive the RMS Rhone. Two dives since the ship is split in two. You won't be the only sailboat there.
The Indians nearby is one of the best snorkels in the Caribbean. Also get GPS coordinates from someone for Painted Walls. http://www.bvidiving.com/divesites_painted_walls.html

Also go over to Virgin Gorda and snorkel the Baths. We saw sailboats there overnight also. Many of the BVI dive operators do rendezvous diving also - they'll bring tanks/weights/guide out to you. You call them on the VHF when you get close to the dive site you're meeting at.

Stop in at DiveBVI on Virgin Gorda - their main shop is just off the dock in Spanish Harbor. Tank fill also. And they have another shop on the north side of Virgin Gorda in Leverick Bay also. Leverick Bay is a yacht marina.

Jeff is their GM, Casey their operations mgr. She's incredibly helpful if you need anything. http://www.divebvi.com/

Elsewhere in the BVI's - www.bviscuba.org. On the Tortola side, Blue Water has 2 convenient locations, Nanny Cay and Soper's Hole in the West End. Roadtown is the main harbor there and We B Divin is located in the marina next to the cruise dock.

Must stop is the Willly T. - http://www.williamthornton.com/ If you're near Virgin Gorda on Friday night there's a Beach BBQ at Leverick Bay that a lot of people attend. They even have those little tender boats for your use.

USVI's:

Red Hook is the town on St Thomas's East End. The American Yacht Harbor is there. There's shops/restaurants right there. Including Red Hook Diving. http://redhookdivecenter.com/?q=about-us Carval Rock is about the best dive nearby. In town (Charlotte Amalie) Blue Island Divers is at Crown Point Marina. http://www.blueislanddivers.com/index.htm

Good diving and snorkeling off St. John also. With the boat that solves the expensive accommodations problem. I have heard good things about Low Key Watersports but no personal experience.

Last edited:
Bryan...PLEASE check out John and his operation ScubaFun in Bayahibe on the south coast of the Dominican Republic. He is without a doubt the best dive operator I have ever used and I was certified in 1971! Tell him I sent you and if he doesn't throw you out he will take you out for some great diving. He has really good DM's and runs a really laid back yet professional operation. Hid boats are the best in the Caribbean I kid you not!

Someone's read a book about a lot of Mangoes! I'm jealous. West Caicos is good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wookie, a week is not set in concrete. Every previous trip I have done through the Caribbean has been ruled my time restrictions. This time I am going at whatever pace suites me. Co-Ords for the sites you mentioned would be much appreciated if you have them.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2014 at 12:36 PM ----------

Hi Diversteve,

I have worked as dive instructor in Turks and Caicos and BVI, so am familiar with most of the sites there. Have not yet dived Grand Turk or Salt Cay. Worked for a short period out of Bitter End, Virgin Gorda. So I know most of the sites as far as the RMS Rhone,to Chuikuzen, Dog Islands, Indians. I will stop in and see Dive BVI in Spanish Town, have used them before. Am more interested in Tortolla and elsewhere in BVI. Also I have not yet dived the USVI, so will spend some time there.

Thanks for the info.

Don't miss Mona. Both Mona and Desecheo are fantastic diving, but a bit of a pain on the way down island, because you have to go to Mayaguez to clear in from the DR before stopping in Mona. Way easier after you've cleared out on the way back before you touch another country.

We've used Dive In at Sapphire Beach Resort on St. Thomas's East End. Smaller operation - ran out of a beach shack at the resort. Been there for years.

There's also the St Thomas Diving Club further down at Bolongo Bay. And Admiralty in town gets good reviews also.

I'll be diving with Sea Saba on Saba when we get there. (eventually...)

Back
Top Bottom