Edmund Fitzgerald

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someday I'd like to have my skills and training reach the point of being able to go and see this wreck. I know it's at 530', so it's way past my current levels, but I figure that it's a worthy goal to work towards.

Does anyone know if this wreck is even divable? Or are there charters that are willing to go there?

I've got a few years before I'll even be thinking about going there, but I'm curious.

Thanks!

Right now, there is a prohibition on diving the Fitz. The family members of the crew dont want divers on the wreck disturbing their remains. So, no diving on her...

As I understand it, the fitz is not diveable b/c of legal restrictions.

Bummer.

Maybe in the five or ten years it'll take me to get the experience and skills anyway, things will change...

I guess I'll find a new goal. Too bad about what I've heard about the Doria's conditions. Hmm. Maybe a good sub wreck or something.

Ah, well. I'll keep it in the back of my mind anyway. Thanks for the update.

Although a couple of guys have been on the Fitz, it's in Canadian waters and diving there is now officially forbidden.

There are a lot of wrecks in a lot shallower water that are worth the trip, although maybe not so many in Colorado. The Great Lakes have a bunch of first class wrecks (lots of shipping + cold + fresh = good news for wreckers) that provide an excellent learning curve. Start shallow, develop the skills and experience and you won't miss the few wrecks that you have to skip.

If you're looking for a substitute "goal" to replace the Fitz with, both the Gunilda (~250ffw, Rossport, Ontario) or the Empress of Ireland (~150ffw, Rimouski, Quebec) are spectacular and challenging dives with high status appeal.

I think its scary that an OW diver is asking about the Fitz...

I think for the next few years, you should be worrying about just diving within recreational limits and build up some experience...

Can't hurt to ask, right? as long as he recognizes that he is no where near ready, and wants to set a goal.

This was what I had in my very first post on the matter:

I've got a few years before I'll even be thinking about going there, but I'm curious.

I don't see any reason at all why I should not be asking questions, Lubold. Isn't that what this board is for? I just wanted to know what was up.

Wreck diving is the entire reason I'm getting into scuba in the first place. I'm a huge history buff. I really don't care too much for fish and reefs, although they are nice to see. They just aren't my thing. Seeing warships from long ago and other shipwrecks from famous incidents are.

Bottom line is there's no reason for you to be scared of my questions. I'm working what I feel is a fairly rapid training program for my budget and my goals. I am taking my AOW next month, my rescue & drysuit hopefully over the summer, and then I'm going to start working on getting my bottom time before going for my MSD. Then I'll be looking at tech diving for further education.

I was a certified hazmat technician for six years. I know the dangers of ignorance, I've seen the results first hand. I have no intention of diving beyond my capabilities, experience, or training. However, I fully intend to find out the scope of such goals and get the training and experience I need to meet them. This is why I am asking about these things on Scuba Board.

Maybe you'll take me more seriously in another few years when there's a GUE tag below my name, but I'm thinking not. Just remember you had to ask questions once too...

Wijbrandus:
Someday I'd like to have my skills and training reach the point of being able to go and see this wreck. I know it's at 530', so it's way past my current levels, but I figure that it's a worthy goal to work towards.

Not unless you own a Newtsuit. That is the only way this wreck is "diveable", even if the ban on diving it were lifted.

No offense, BTW. Most people don't realize how far down that wreck is and what the waters are like in Superior.

Hey, hold on a minute... I didnt say you shouldnt be asking about it, I said it was scary that an OW diver was asking about the Fitz. I always get a little nervous when a new diver is asking about deep wrecks. As far as the GUE reference, certifications dont mean anything, if you dont have the skills.

BTW, I would skip the Master Diver, and just go from AOW and Rescue into a deco class. After that, go with Trimix.

Back
Top Bottom