Want to try sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dalpe933

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,
Anyone ever tried to sidemount with a bp&w set up? I know this sounds stupid but I would really enjoy to have a feeling of sidemount before I invest in an other vest..

Hi,
Anyone ever tried to sidemount with a bp&w set up? I know this sounds stupid but I would really enjoy to have a feeling of sidemount before I invest in an other vest..

I've seen this discussion somewhere if not here. If the goal is to dive with tanks on your side aka side mount configuration,then you can modify a back plate and wing. If the goal is to enter tight restrictions,then it takes away flexibility and becomes a hinderance. If you really want to convert something,take an old BC,and convert it to sidemount. In reality,a BC with side and back inflation is really superior to many of the modern day sidemount set ups that incorporate wings.

As Karstdvr mentioned - it's easy to get into sidemount diving if you can adapt an existing rig. Those may never offer the full benefits of a dedicated sidemount system, but they are typically cheap and easy, whilst allowing you to gain an appreciation of the pros and cons of sidemount.

If you own a backplate/wing BCD, take a look at these Top 5 Sidemount Adapter Systems

There are also options for making your own kit from scratch. I made two minimalist rigs for less than $200 each. See here: DIY Sidemount

Thank that's all I needed to know :D And it's just to try, I'll be in the ow. Nothing crazy!

I used a OMS profile sidemount adaptor on a Oxycheq bp/w.

It worked out pretty well with a steel backplate.

Tried both bungees and diverite ring bungees.

My wife is trying it out with a Oxycheq travel (fabric) backplate now.

I did eventually purchase a stealth 2.0.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have a friend that has done sidmount with a BP&w setup. He has since converted to a sidemount system.
Where in Canada are you? If you are in Ontario perhaps we could meet some weekend and you can try a sidemount system for a dive. Will be near Brockville over the May long weekend.

I did sidemount with a BPW and it was alright. I spent a lot of time trying to modify it and get it working right. Unless you're pretty dedicated and have quite a bit of pool time, getting your sidemount setup right is pretty hard....even WITH a dedicated rig. If it's just to try, it should be fine and there ARE ways of doing it. A dedicated rig with a good instructor will seriously cut down the time it takes to get a good, comfortable, streamlined setup....but is not the only way to approach it.

One thing to consider is trying to use the backplate/harness as a clip attachment scheme with a jacket on over top for buoyancy. A big-name cave diver does this as his go-to rig, but with a custom harness (Razor-style) and not a BPW.....but the same concept applies.

Any chance you can "demo" a sidemount setup with a qualified SM instructor? Maybe take up @underh2oman on his offer? As @victorzamora mentions above, the combination of dedicated SM gear and someone to help you make sure it's configured properly will guarantee the most enjoyable first experience.

Some people get frustrated with SM simply because their setup isn't well dialed, or their instructor doesn't have enough experience with SM.

Then after a successful demo/intro (assuming you enjoy the difference) you'd be in a much better position to adapt your existing rig, because you will know the feeling that you're aiming for.

Sadly I left the Barrie Ontario area 2 years ago and am now in edmonton... But thanks for the offer! ( I will be diving in brockville the second week of July on my way to Quebec city )

Sadly I left the Barrie Ontario area 2 years ago and am now in edmonton... But thanks for the offer! ( I will be diving in brockville the second week of July on my way to Quebec city )

I have an open water group in the Ivy Lee area between Gananoque and Brockville on the July 12-13. There may be an opportunity to get you in if you are in the area. If it fits your timetable PM me and we can work it out.

Back
Top Bottom