Good job, kid!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
(well, technically, at 18 he isn't a kid anymore, but, you know, parents and all...)

Anyway, I just had to share. The other weekend I was diving with my son (who's also my regular buddy), and we were diving pretty close to each other. Viz is still on the low side, and besides, being able to stay more or less elbow to elbow without annoying each other is a good skill to have and something we're actively working on. On the tail end of the dive, while slowly working our way up along the bottom, I turn about 45 degrees away from him and reach down to pick another scallop and then suddenly feel him tugging my fin. I turn back just to see him putting his reg into his mouth and clearing it. I'm a bit :confused:, but since I can't really ask him what's going on, I just give the OK? sign and get the OK back. Oh well, I'm OK, he's OK and we'll sort out the details on the surface.

A little later he signals 50 bar (a bit earlier than expected, I'm still at about 80-ish), so we start the final ascent. I get a little stressed on the safety stop making the mistake of trying to shoot my dSMB without total buoyancy control in my new DS, decide to just get my a$$ to the surface ASAP and of course get somewhat entangled in the line I didn't spool up during the last ascent. That didn't help with the stress and task loading, so when we surface I've got enough to think about without the task of communicating with the boat tender in some wind and chop. No worries, he takes command, hails the boat and directs the tender flawlessly.

On the boat, I ask him what happened. He tells me I managed to kick the reg out of his mouth, and he didn't locate it on the first attempt. So, while continuing searching for the lost reg, he pulls my fin to get my attention in case he needs my air, but manages to relocate his own reg just in time for me to see him clearing it. "There was really no problems, dad, but man, did I blow though the rest of my air pretty darned fast!"

I'm kinda proud about how he handled the situation! :bounce::cheerleader:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom