Do I have the chokes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duffmc81

New
Reaction score
Hi all, was wondering if a small injury I sustained while doing yesterday is serious or not, and if so, should I go get some treatment?

I have an open water license and have done 4 dives before, all two years ago. Yesterday, I dove my deepest dive ever, at 60 feet, for about 40 minutes. I felt great all the way through, even through a five minute safety stop at the end. When doing my final ascend, I began to develop a slight pain and tightness in what I believe to be my left lung, or at least somewhere in that area. I had no problems getting off my gear, getting into the boat, and even did another dive that day which felt fine.

I did however feel some discomfort throughout the rest of the day, and now some symptoms have carried over to today.

Yesterday my symptoms included:
- pain/tightness when inhaling deeply
- pain while walking (felt like I was hitting it in a way when my left foot would contact the ground).
- pain when lying on my left side
- quick pain while transitioning from laying down to sitting up (and a feeling like there is some kind of small bubble moving around while doing this). Oddly, if I'm laying on my right side and sort of push myself up from that position, there is no pain.
- slight fatigue
- no nausea, fever, or general discomfort while sitting, standing, or laying down on my back, stomach, or right side

Today, the symptoms that still linger are:
- the pain while walking
- the pain while lying on my left side
- the pain while transitioning from laying down to sitting up and the subsequent "bubbles" feeling

it no longer hurts to inhale deeply and I don't feel overly tired or unhappy. I'm just snorkeling and taking it easy today. Tomorrow I am on planes for 6 hours.

I should note I've had this once before while diving a couple years ago, but that time it was much worse. Symptoms went away with time and rest.

I am am guessing that I am generally fine but I'm posting here because the local diver isn't too familiar with diving-specific cases. I'd love to dive again sometime in the future but this is the second time this has happened and I don't know I'm risking a really big injury.

Otherwise i am in really great cardiovascular and overall health. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.

Do you have a local doctor available?

No one can assess you over the net and what you describe could be nothing or something. Even a visit to a simple clinic would allow a GP to listen to your lungs with a stethoscope and determine if you have an mechanical injury or perhaps have aspirated some water. No one here can do that and while the conversation may be comforting/alarming, depending on what strangers say, it won't replace basic medical attention.

Dive or no, chest pain shouldn't be passed off lightly. And 40 minutes at 60 feet is enough time to absorb some nitrogen. How slowly you ascended and hence off-gassed, is relevant. So too is whether you had a computer (?) and what the nitrogen levels showed on it. Even with that info, you should err on the side of caution.

This would be an excellent time to join DAN, like *right now* , and ask them. Or don't join, and ask them. Failing that, to have a doc who understands diving take a look at you.

Trust me, I'm an English major.... ;-)

Not the chokes, but there is possibility of barotrauma. The advice to contact DAN and seek immediate medical care is very, very prudent. ESPECIALLY before flying.

I don't want to dismiss your current injury ... it should be attended to. But I'm concerned about someone who has not dived in two years, after a grand total of four dives, diving again without a refresher. Or have you done so, but just not stated that here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom