Regs serviced. now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning to get ours regs serviced for the first time in a few weeks. (The shop we like has agreed to become a HOG dealer -- YAY!!)

What do we do after we get them back. Just jump in? People can make mistakes -- how could we check to see if things are OK? Things I can think of include: check for free flow at surface and when we first get in; be sure to check / breathe from both secondaries; maybe try an extended purge?

I have no idea, really.

- Bill

If they are functioning properly, and unless you have a high number of hours on them, or they have been subjected to abuse, I wouldnt have them serviced. If that is the case, or you feel you must, then spend some time in a pool to make sure they are good to go. I wouldnt do anthing challenging with them straight out of the shop, until you're sure all is well and that they are working as intended.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Here ya go:

How to Test a 2nd Stage SCUBA Regulator | Trails.com

You can also check the IP of the first stage with an IP gauge, its a handy thing to keep around if you don't have one. The manufacturer states a specific IP range for your regulator. You can check this by hooking up an IP gauge to your low pressure inflator.

id make sure it doesnt leak/ make noise when you breath off it before leaving the shop. Do a pre breath on the surface w/ your face in the water to make sure the exhaust valve/ diaphragm are in good shape then enjoy your dive.

I heard(?read) years ago, that more regs free flow right after being serviced........hmmmm, makes you wonder......I get mine serviced every 10 years or so---if nothing seems wrong with them.....

How many dives do you have on them and how are they behaving? If nothing is wrong with them they don't need serviced. At most a cleaning and inspection. The rebuild on HOG regs is recommended at two years. An annual inspection is recommended during which I normally just test, clean, and maybe replace the LP seat in the second stage if it's acting up. Key words are recommended. Since parts are not free you are not going to mess up any warranty by getting them done when they NEED it. Not on some arbitrary schedule.

what is the difference between cleaning and servicing a reg?

what is the difference between cleaning and servicing a reg?

Usually "servicing" implies that parts were replaced, lubrication of key parts was done and there was some level of inspection and testing. At least with the regs I am familiar with there are a handful of parts that are recommended by the manufacturer to be replaced annually. The local shops around here are very hit or miss about replacing parts on the manufacture's schedule. The annual replacement of parts is at least partially a carryover from 40 or more years ago when the elastomers in use were a lot less durable than they are today. That said there can be reasons for annual service like cleaning sand out which is definitely more of an issue if you beach dive. Or relubricating o-rings. I find the biggest performance driver for my balanced second stage is losing lubricant on the balance piston o-rings. Cleaning and relubricating is 90% of the service in my experience.

Bill do look at the regulator inspection checklist sticky at the top of the regulator forum. That will give you a fairly comprehensive list to work with.

I heard(?read) years ago, that more regs free flow right after being serviced........hmmmm, makes you wonder.
This seems to be due to the fact that new seats have to be broken in (expr?) and not all shops have the equipment to breathe a reg for hours after rebuild and before fine-tuning. It makes sense to know how to detune a reg :)

A shop doing a good job of service should have cycled the reg a number of times before you pick it up, to get the new seat to "set". They should also show you the IP and allow you to breathe both second stages before the regulator leaves the shop, so you are happy with the second stage cracking pressure adjustment.

Back when I was getting regs serviced at the shop, I would plan a simple shore dive with them before leaving on a trip, just to make sure no unexpected problems showed up. Typical things were hoses that hadn't gotten tightened down adequately (simple fix, but don't screw them back in while pressurized!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom