Silent computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qasar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
I would like to have your feedback on the utility (or not...) of having alarms on a computer.
For me, as a good diver (of course like all participants of this forum) I don't gesticulate underwater, so my computer is only ringing when I need to have a look at it, which is the purpose intended. A security device, because if you have an alarm it's because you DONT look at your computer, so only visible alarms are not always useful.
On the other side I see that most of the new high end computers are coming without sound alarm.
So lets talk pro and cons...

Why is it the only one who doesn't hear the alarm is the person who's computer is going off for the whole dive? It really comes down to who is managing the dive, the dive computer or the diver. If your skills or academic knowledge is so low that you're relying on the computer then you'll love alarms. If you kinda know what you're doing the alarms are nothing more than a nuisance.

When you say "most high end computers" are you referring to those being released by Shearwater or Liquivision? If so, it's probably not a whole truth to claim uniformity among the "high end" computers. Those computers are explicitly built for tech diving (yes, I know they have a recreational mode).

The mentality is different on those dives. It is assumed that the diver knows enough about what they're doing that they can safely preempt or override instructions from their computer; not so for shallow vacation divers who seem to need more help executing a dive.

I believe the Atomic Cobalt and Suunto D9 both run in the same general cost category, are intended for recreational divers and have audible alarms.

Even when using computers with alarms, I've never heard them going off. With a tight hood, I hear so many random bubbly noises that my brain tunes out strange sounds, I think :p

My high-frequency hearing is poor enough that I don't hear alarms underwater, mine or anyone else's. The only way I know my alarm is going off is if the people around me are all looking around, wondering where that sound is coming from....

So my recreational computer (OC1) has a flashing red light...nice. My tech computer (Petrel) may or may not make sounds....If it does, I've never heard them!

I'd really like a computer that vibrates to alarm me; if it words for fighter pilots, I figure it will work for me. TUSA used to make one that vibrated, but otherwise it was not a particularly desirable computer.

And I agree with the above postings: you should not really need an alarm if you are on top of your dive. Depth, time, ascent rate....own those, and the computer won't have to.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

If you;re relying on an alarm to let you know something is wrong you need to re-evaluate your approach to diving and engage the brain for once.

I really don't see the need for audible alarms. Even the ones ive owned that do beep i cant hear them through a 7mm hood anyway.

My Uwatec Luna has silent mode, which I have enabled, as I don't want or need it beeping at me. Ever.

I don't so much hate the alarm, I just hate the diver that can not acknowledge the alarm by turning it off and resolving the issue. I have mentioned afterwords on deck that, from the sounds of the alarm, we should get out the O2 and all brush up on our first aid/CPR for the impending casualty. If it doesn't find the offender, the alarm is magically off on the next dive.

I turn my alarms off, if I need an alarm to let me know my status in the water I'll take up a different hobby that uses less thought.

Bob
--------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

My computers have alarms and the ability to turn off those alarms. Mine are off.

Back
Top Bottom