Virginia Area Cave Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VaPadiDiver

Reaction score
Looking to find other cave divers in Virginia or information on caves around VA. The 12 hr trek to cave country (Florida) makes it hard to get alot of dive time in.

PS. J.M. - get your hand out of that manatee!

12 hours to Florida!!

you might as well fly to Akumal, it would be quicker

I live in VA and do some cave diving, although my cave diving is limited due to the exact factors you mention in your post.

PM me if you want..

My cave diving is also limited by the 10 hour trip for me to cave country. I just wish scubaboard had been around and this big while I was still in Gainesville. I spent 5 years a half hour from Ginnie, and could never seem to get buddied up more than about 5 times a year! If I was still living there with the scubaboard to find buddies, I would have a year pass at Ginnie and break even a month later!

At least I have free accomodations at about 6 homes in Gainesville! Oh well, hopefully I can get back to Florida in the next several years. I do miss the area and the family.

Hey,

I'm from VA but I want to go to Florida for underwater cave diving. If I am not certified in scuba diving. Is there any place I can go to have a guided tour and have them provide me with equipment in either VA or FL?

Thanks!!

Hey,

If I am not certified in scuba diving. Is there any place I can go to have a guided tour and have them provide me with equipment in either VA or FL?

Thanks!!

No, sorry. You must be certed to dive. Unless you want to freedive a blue hole!

Or at least here's what I used to do as a cave diver living in Arlington Va.
Find more cave divers in your immediate area. I used the NSS/CDS and NACD membership lists to find them. In my case I found I lived 4 blocks from the lady who co-authored the first cave diving manual! In the Metro DC area join Capital Divers. Lots of cave divers in the group.
Get a van or hook up with someone who has a van. I bought one and put 300,000 plus miles on it diving!
I liked a team of 3 but 4 works just as well since you can have 2 dive teams of two.
Here was a typical trip for me: Meet at my house, pack the van (with FULL tanks). Everyone would drive 2 hours and sleep 4 (or 6 if 4 diver trip). Arrive at little river about 8 or 9 am. Do a check out dive just to make sure all equipment and body parts are working properly. Do a minimum of two dives a day, which really meant everyone has 2 sets of doubles (plus O2 and stage bottles). Can you say heavy van?
We usually did trips on holiday weekends as most of us were government or contracters at government sites. So if monday was the holiday we'd take off friday, leave thursday around 4 or 5 pm, arrive in Branford early friday am. do the checkout dive, fill tanks and hit the planned sites. Dive 2 on friday saturday and sunday and possibly one on monday. Drive back and arrive monday evening!
Whats the problem ?? LOL - I always thought the divers who could drive to a dive site in an hour never appreciated our dedication.
Of course I'm moving to LA and will now be about an hour from the millpond.
There are incidentally a couple of cave dives in the area but you have to REALLY want to dive to do them. They are more sumps than caves usually - or quarries.
later....

You guys are responding to a 4 year old thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom