PADI vs cave agency side mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a credit with a dive shop for a PADI specialty class, and I'd love to take side mount and save myself the $$$$ of taking a cave side mount class before/during my cavern class. Think that'll fly? or is PADI side mount kind of a joke (as I am beginning to fear much of their classes might be).

Thanks.

You... are not serious, right?

It really depends on the instructor! If the instructor is a caver and does SM then it might be worth it. If the instructor is just an instructor trying to make a buck...different story.

Save yourself some time and money. You are only about 4 hours from Mariana, Fl. and Edd at Cave Adventures. You will be way ahead after taking his class especially if you are planning on taking a cavern class.

I'm also in New Orleans and will be taking Edd's class in late May - four hours in the car is a small price to pay. At the moment I don't think any of the instructors in the NOLA area are really capable of teaching it - one just learned it, and no others are offering it. The nearest class that's not in NOLA is in Gulf Shores.

I have a credit with a dive shop for a PADI specialty class, and I'd love to take side mount and save myself the $$$$ of taking a cave side mount class before/during my cavern class. Think that'll fly? or is PADI side mount kind of a joke (as I am beginning to fear much of their classes might be).

Thanks.
PADI sidemount is much of a joke as the instrutor teaching it. Where I have respect for PADI,there are instructors who will learn sidemount with a course director one weekend,and declare themselves a sidemount specialty instructor the next weekend. If you have an instructor with a lot of experience,then this could be worthy. It is worthwhile to be comfortable in the configuration that you use most when taking cavern,otherwise like when someone shows up in doubles the first day of class for the first time,it is a true charlie foxtrot. If you want to be in sidemount configuration for a cavern class,then perhaps take that sidemount course,get very comfortable in that configuration,and then plan on having your set up tweaked by your cavern instructor. I think trying to learn sidemount and cavern at the same time may not be real optimal because you may be concentrating on new gear configuration issues,that you miss out on the nuances of the class (visa versa).

PADI sidemount is much of a joke as the instrutor teaching it. Where I have respect for PADI,there are instructors who will learn sidemount with a course director one weekend,and declare themselves a sidemount specialty instructor the next weekend. If you have an instructor with a lot of experience,then this could be worthy. It is worthwhile to be comfortable in the configuration that you use most when taking cavern,otherwise like when someone shows up in doubles the first day of class for the first time,it is a true charlie foxtrot. If you want to be in sidemount configuration for a cavern class,then perhaps take that sidemount course,get very comfortable in that configuration,and then plan on having your set up tweaked by your cavern instructor. I think trying to learn sidemount and cavern at the same time may not be real optimal because you may be concentrating on new gear configuration issues,that you miss out on the nuances of the class (visa versa).
This.

Learn to dive where you want to dive, then start screwing around with gear. You might have so much fun diving that you no longer have a desire to mess with gear for the sake of messing with gear :)

I will totally second that. I have been watching someone go through a cavern class who HAS done a sidemount class, but had never dived sidemount in warm water with Al80s. It's caused a great deal of struggle and frustration with the class that simply wasn't necessary.

Do your sidemount class, preferably in conditions similar to those in which you will take cavern, and then do a dozen or more sidemount dives, until you've tweaked all the tweaks and mastered the idiosyncrasies. THEN do cavern.

Also -- it's additionally been clear from sitting on the sidelines of this class that it is highly advantageous to take a class from someone who has experience with a variety of sidemount equipment and tanks, and can help you get the most out of YOUR gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom