been not diving for 2 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm a new member here, i was wondering i have my basic scuba license but when i got it i haven't went diving much duo to issues etc, but now i'm back and i was wondering if i want to take my advanced license do i need to take the basic one again duo to not diving (for 2yrs) or is there a refreshment class or something like that? would really like someone to answer this question,thank you.

If you have your open water certification, you needn't take it again. How much diving did you do after you were certified? Did you feel quite confident in your skills when last you dove? If the snswer to any of these questions are 1) barely went diving after certification 2) no, didn't feel that confident or independent, then my recommendation is to take it over again. If thst just doesn't work for you, then please do take the refresher course. At that time, if you are feeling confident, do a bunch of dives, and then start taking some advanced courses. Welcome back.

I think you should focus on getting back in the water and diving instead of getting AOW certification.
Find someone to give you guidance and help or take a refresher course.

Yes you should take a refresher course, or find and active buddy and put in some pool time and practice your skills

I would suggest a Scuba Review/Refresher course then get in some dives to get comfortable in the water then do the Advanced Open Water if you want.

If you can find a mentor that would be a great way to improve your skills.

I agree. Although you do not need to do the open water course over again, you should absolutely do a scuba refresher in a class and pool setting. The PADIi refresher is a total of about 4 hours all in. Once that is done, I suggest you get in some open water diving- locally with a club, or on a trip divining with a divemaster. Once you are comfortable and competent in the open water, then consider taking the advanced course. You will get more out of it if you have some "real diving" experience first.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the great answers, it helped a lot :) i will look for a refresher course and hopefully get back in the open water :)

I was out of diving for a few years until last fall. I started with reviewing the book (yes I got certified way back in the late 80's when books were the only option) specifically about the tables. Then I got back into the pool and did several pool dives to refresh my skills. I practiced the mask removal and replacement, doffing/donning my BPW, and worked on trim and bouancy. Then I did the refresher course. As with all courses the instructor is the key to making it worthwhile. Fortunately I had a great instructor and it was an exhausting 2 hours - 90 minutes underwater and 30 in class to review some of the basics. I think not doing some pool dives prior to the refresher would have made the refresher that much harder and I probably would have not gotten to work on some of the skills.

You've only been out for 2 years so it should easily come back to you.

Good luck!

i agree with all the above...welcome back and remember small steps at first....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom