Do you ever service your SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was reading PADI Deep Diver manual, it asks a question:

--------------------------------------------------------
Submersible pressure gauge
• Accurate?
• Serviced within the last 12 months?

Have mechanical depth gauges serviced and checked every 12 months or when dropped.

Do you really service SPGs?

I was reading PADI Deep Diver manual, it asks a question:

Submersible pressure gauge
• Accurate?

Have mechanical depth gauges serviced and checked every 12 months or when dropped.

Do you really service SPGs?

They're mostly not servicable.

You can change the o-rings in the spool, but if it's been leaking sticking or is significantly out of calibration, about all you can do it toss it.

Some of the oil filled SPGs could be refilled, but it's not really a permanent fix for anything.

The SPG itself is basically a throw away module. You can replace the spool/rings, but if you see inaccuracies in the SPG that you think are unacceptable it's time to pitch it and buy a new one.

The thing I've noticed with SPG (especially the HOG SPGs) are that they tend to have "bad batches". A few years ago I replaced all of the gauges on my deco regs and subsequently had to pitch almost all six SPG in the first year due to inaccuracies. Replaced them with identical SPG from the same manufacturer and reseller with no problems. Certainly something in the manufacturing process but not sure how to tell if you get a bad one...

Relative to other gear though, SPG are inexpensive so at least they have that going for them.

I replace the spool o-rings (or complete spool) when they leak. Throw away the spg when it fails. In almost 5000 dives, I have replaced 2 spg's. Both were Dacor branded and from the '80's.

My annual service for an SPG entails changing the spool orings, relubing, and bench testing it to see if it's accurate within 200 psi.
So yes in that aspect I do "service" them. More or less it's really an inspection, if you want to get real technically correct on the jargon.

Other than that you either replace the spool or the whole unit itself, dependent on what you find.

I used to replace spool o-ring when they leaked, until I found out the spools with o-rings already installed were dirt cheap. So now I replace spools when they leak. Otherwise, there really isn't anything to service!

I service my reg once yearly--has the console with SPG, depth gauge, compass. Last year the SPG started getting stuck at 1000 psi...not really a good thing......Had to get it replaced. Then it was the compass' turn.

I never service my SPG. Waste of money in my opinion. Just replace about once every 500-1000 dives.
I'm not being cavalier, the SPG, for me is just a back up incase my computer craps out.

I'll guess that's just an imprecise way of saying "checked", or because the SPG is usually attached to the reg when it goes in for actual servicing and should be checked as part of deal.

I guess gauge accuracy is a good reason to suck a tank dry every once in a while to make sure that there are no significant inaccuracies in the range where it really matters.

Back
Top Bottom