no adjustment on PO2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hippiedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello. I tried to find some info on this subject but couldn't so I thought I'd put the question out there. Forgive me if its been already covered. I bought an Aeris A100 and found out that there is no way to adjust the PO2 setting...it's locked at 1.4. I know 1.4 is a safe setting and don't want to get into debates about safety of 1.4 vs. 1.6, but I'd rather it was adjustable up to 1.6. Rather than return it, would it be possible for me just to lower my O2 setting to 28 or 29, which would bring my max depth to the equivalent 132' instead of the 111' that I would get at 1.4?

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 11:39 AM ----------

In the above I'm referring to diving with EAN32.

Unusual first post to SB

Why would you want to lose the NDL advantage of your nitrox mix just to prevent your computer from alarming over exceeding the pO2? Personally, I would want to accurately track my O2 exposure also. Some folks dive an air profile on nitrox to cushion the nitrogen exposure risk

I would hope you could disable your audio alarm, exceeding the pO2 will otherwise not penalize you in any way

I'm with Scubadada. You can set your PDC for anything you want. I like to set mine as accurately as possible. I'm funny like that. :D

I was on the Odyssey this morning, a wreck here in Roatan. I was diving 32% and my alarm went off when I hit 112. I think I could have gotten a shovel and gone a bit deeper, mind you, but it was a good alarm. It made me conscientious about how deep I was going and that's a good thing.

These limits aren't to be used as a goal, but as they were intended: as limits. I just don't get why people think that they are the exception and then exceed limits as a matter of course like a speed limit sign. This is especially true if you are on holiday and doing a number of dives in a row over multiple days. IOW, learn to respect the limits. They are there to keep you safe and not just to limit your fun. If you need to go deeper, use an appropriate mix, but be sure you have the training and the experience commensurate with your dive.

Ok. Thanks. I could disable the alarm. Since I haven't used it yet, I just wasn't sure what else the computer might do if I exceeded the pO2 by .2 I'll just leave it then and be careful never to exceed 130 instead of the 111 on EAN32.

thanks for the info .i was just looking at the Aeris A100 yesterday and did not know it was not an adjustable po2...........i will check next visit to the LDS.

Having dived Oceanic computers since 2001, I had to look at the owner's manual for your A100. There don't appear to be audible alarms, just messages, described on page 20 for PO2 warning and alarm. The warning at a pO2 of 1.2 and the alarm at a pO2 of 1.4 would be annoying but should not otherwise interfere with ongoing computer use.

Good advice here, if you were stuck with the computer but it sounds like returning it is still an option and based on that I would return it and get one that is adjustable. More specifically, I would get one that suits my needs.

Traded it in for a Veo 180. Same DSAT algorithm but adjustable PO2.

"These limits aren't to be used as a goal, but as they were intended: as limits. I just don't get why people think that they are the exception and then exceed limits as a matter of course like a speed limit sign. This is especially true if you are on holiday and doing a number of dives in a row over multiple days. IOW, learn to respect the limits. They are there to keep you safe and not just to limit your fun. If you need to go deeper, use an appropriate mix, but be sure you have the training and the experience commensurate with your dive."

Thanks for the lecture. Never said I wanted to exceed limits. Thanks for deleting my last reply to you as well. Go have another hamburger in Roatan and study your tables.

While 1.4 and 1.2 might offer some small added safety margin; if 1.6 were unsafe wouldn't we have seen a CPSC recall on dive computers that are fixed at 1.6?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom