Biodegradable Sunscreen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieMc5280

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hope this is an appropriate forum to post this question. Does anyone have a recommendation on reef safe sunscreen?

Check the ingredients- aseminal paper by Roberto Danovaro et al. . In the paper, the scientists list 4 sunscreen chemicals that caused coral bleaching. They are: butylparaben (a preservative), oxybenzone (a sunscreen), octinoxate (a sunscreen) and 4-methylbenzylidene camphor (a sunscreen). If your sunscreen has any of these ingredients you are possibly harming coral
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291018/

Tropical Seas makes it, click here
The Tropical Seas has octinoxate and oxybenzone but but the Badger products look OK

I've used this one in the past:

Tropical Sands® SPF 30+ Sunscreen Lotion 8-oz. UNSCENTED (they have an SPF 15 as well)

Worked pretty well - does leave you a little white, though I think that's a bit unavoidable with any zinc based sunscreen. Consistency is about the same as traditional sunscreen though there is a definitely trick to getting it on right.

I've never tried the Badger brand but did "sample" it in a local Whole Foods store (they had a display tube). It was very expensive and thicker than toothpaste - it seemed like a nightmare if you wanted to actually apply it to any large amount of body area

I cover a bit on surface (hat with a wide round brim) and use a beanie for my bald head while diving. Other than that I only use sunscrean when I won't be entering the water.

With all the crud being dumped from the bilges of dive boats. Sunscreen is the least of the problems. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom