How to secure gloves in pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I lost a brand new pair of 4th Element gloves in the water. I took them off after descending on a line and put them in my thigh pocket. The pockets have a secure velcro.

When I surfaced, my pockets were still closed but the gloves were gone. I have no idea how.

How do I secure my gloves in a pocket? I need to clip them to the bungee somehow...

Or safely secured in a dive box on the boat. Bigger question may be why you needed to take the gloves off in the first place.

And your pocket isn't secure. By definition, if it was secure you would still have your gloves.

I'm thinking you missed the pocket, as for the gloves use them or lose them.

Nothing is secure in a pocket unless it is clipped in. If your gloves are the sort which have Velcro closures, you can Velcro one glove to the other, then use a double-ender to clip around the Velcro strap, and clip into the pocket. This is still not perfectly secure, as Velcro underwater is less than 100% reliable.

I'm thinking you missed the pocket, as for the gloves use them or lose them.

+1 on this unless you actually can see your pocket, ie a thigh pocket. Otherwise, put them in someone elses pocket. Pockets I can't see, I only use to put stuff in it on the boat that I might have to take out in the water (ie sausage, mirror etc). By definition, everything in a pocket is on a tether....

I lost a brand new pair of 4th Element gloves in the water. I took them off after descending on a line and put them in my thigh pocket. The pockets have a secure velcro.

When I surfaced, my pockets were still closed but the gloves were gone. I have no idea how.

How do I secure my gloves in a pocket? I need to clip them to the bungee somehow...

Aside from the question of why you would want to take off your gloves during a dive, what I do is to attach a "tie wrap" to whatever I need to put in and out of my pocket. The tie-wrap isn't entirely closed so you can get a bolt snap on it.

Inside the pocket, there is a ring (or you can add one if needed) that's attached to the pocket. To that ring I attach a long piece of bungie. Everything that's in the pocket is clipped on one side of a double ender and the other side is clipped to the bungie. That way you can get things in/out and even reorganize it without the risk of anything escaping.

R..

You might want to use a small mesh bag with a draw string, which can be clipped to your gear. Sometimes my wife removes her gloves or hood when beginning a dive and since I have a front zip wet suit, I put her things on my chest and zip it under my suit. Either way, although I think a glove or hood decision should be made before beginning a dive, it is helpful to have a buddy help with stashing gear underwater.

Or safely secured in a dive box on the boat. Bigger question may be why you needed to take the gloves off in the first place.

And your pocket isn't secure. By definition, if it was secure you would still have your gloves.

I normally dive warm waters so have no need for gloves as thermal protection. The only time I put them on is for physical protection, i.e. when strong currents mandate descending on a line or when removing junk/fishing line with hooks, etc. from corals.

On this dive we had to descend on a line, so after we reached the bottom and started the dive, I took them off and stuffed them into my pocket. Or so I thought.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

Thanks for the idea of using a tie-wrap c/w boltsnap and mesh bag. Great ideas. I'm thinking bungee with bolt snap but mesh bag sounds more secure.

What Diver0001 wrote, but my bungee loop goes to a reinforced eyelet at the bottom corner of my pocket. (Both ends of the bungee go thru the eyelet from inside the pocket to the outside and nice big knots on either side hold the loop where it belongs). This way I have the bungee AND the metal D-ring for storing stuff.

A bungee loop is great because you can pull things out where you can see and manipulate them properly. Esp. nice with a high-visibilty color of bungee. Having the bungee tied in the bottom corner firmly pulls stuff deep back into your pocket. When wearing a thick undersuit and drysuit getting stuff back inside a thigh pocket can sometimes be ridiculously difficult.

(Credit for these tips to a particular HKI store with HUGE supply of support and advice. These were not my inspirations.)

Back
Top Bottom