So who is the better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just interested to hear some thoughts and philosophies regarding your "ideal" diver. What skills are most admired by you?

For example...

Is it the diver (no matter what path they took to get there) that has practiced and configured a rig until they can hold a perfect static trim?

Or is it the diver that can dive any gear thrown at them and still look comfortable doing it.

And I imagine there are probably a few that want the diver to be able to do both!

I originally started this in Advanced but moved to Basic because I would like to get both the advanced divers perspective but also thoughts from new divers.

So what are your thoughts?

I think it is less about practice and configuration and more about experience. IMHO, one does not get comfortable through rote practice - they get comfortable through time in the water.

Some classes test for specific skills - it will take differing amounts of time to pick up those skills depending on a diver's starting point/experience with those skills. Certainly, I personally think there is value to standard procedures for a team in general, and in building muscle memory and on standardized responses to equipment issues, etc.

But as to an ideal diver - I'd take someone who is comfortable in the water, respectful of their environment, and has a lot of experience, over someone relatively new who can perform skills demonstrations flawlessly.

Just my 3 cents ;-)

A good diver, IMO, is one who can take any equipment configuration appropriate for the task in hand and achieve that task.

One for whom the diving is merely a means to an end and not an end in itself.

The diver that can do both without much thought to either.

Mindset and mental skills are the same... there may be a slight deficit in terms of muscle memory shifting from one to the other (I find this switching from OC SM to CCR), but the kit should not greatly affect situational awareness, buoyancy, trim, control of breathing, movement through the water, and or ability to have fun.

Mindset and mental skills are the same... there may be a slight deficit in terms of muscle memory shifting from one to the other (I find this switching from OC SM to CCR), but the kit should not greatly affect situational awareness, buoyancy, trim, control of breathing, movement through the water, and or ability to have fun.

So Steve. Are you saying the best diver is the diver with the right mind set and mental skills? Interesting perspective and I like that idea. I know something about the right mindset for solo diving but not as familiar with the term as it applies to the general diver...

One of the things I tried to do from the first moment I decided to become more than an OW diver was to take advantage of every opportunity to dive as many different configurations as possible. With the goal of being able to at least get in decent trim and be comfortable as quickly as possible. As a result I can pretty much do that regardless of BC type or size. But it did not happen overnight. For the recreational diver this is nice to be able to do but not critical. Unless they plan to rent different gear all the time in different areas. For a dive pro of any level it should be a given they can do this. The ideal recreational diver is also going to be safe, skilled, and instinctually able to use THEIR gear no matter the conditions. That is more important than them being able to switch from a BPW to poodle jacket or vice versa between dives on the boat.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

My ideal diver is more in line with yours, my ideal diver is the one that makes the dive and gets his buddy(s) safely back on the boat (or shore) regardless of their kit.

A good diver, IMO, is one who can take any equipment configuration appropriate for the task in hand and achieve that task.

One for whom the diving is merely a means to an end and not an end in itself.

Holding a perfect static trim is a good trick if you need it, but there are a lot of other skills I would put higher on my list when looking for an ideal diver.

Bob
-----------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom