Hawaii advice- where is best to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PJU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are considering a trip to Hawaii this summer- several adults, several 16 yr old kids, all OWD and have had only 20-40 dives, so novices. I had impression that diving in Hawaii not that good due to vis and currents, but threads I've seen suggest I've misunderstood. So- where would you recommend we go, for good dives, not too deep, with good conditions in summer (likely mid-August)?
Thanks!

I've only dove on the Big Island, and Maui, so can't speak to the other islands.
I am a big fan of the Big Island, both for diving, and for above water activities.
I've dove the first two weeks of July, and have found it great. Nice water temperatures, good visibility.
As I've said to others though, I think its hard to go wrong if you are picking one of the Hawaiin Islands.

The big island is the only island with a liveaboard. Does that mean anything - I don't know but is is reality.

The big island also has the Manta Ray night dive. An awesome dive to do!!!

Reefs, go to Big Island for sure. Maui is also decent and has Molokini nearby. Kauai isn't worth bothering with unless you want to go to Ni'ihau. Oahu is good, but the coral isn't nearly as good as Big Island/Maui in all but a few places. Oahu does have lots of wrecks (for Hawaii), however...most are in the 60'-120' range. On a day with good viz, you could see from the bow to the stern of the Sea Tiger if it weren't for all the schooling tropical fish, massive sea turtles, giant moray eels, and the occasional dolphins, giant Hawaiian sting rays, and white tip reef sharks that would block the view.

I'm a big fan of Maui where you can dive 4 islands...Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai. Shore diving in Maui is easy and all up and down the coast with many sights having gorgeous beaches with amenities like showers and bathrooms. Maui also has a lot of topside activities for those who don't want to spend all of their time diving.

Whether you choose the Big Island or Maui, be sure to hire a good guide to be sure you see all there is to see, and know when you're seeing indigenous creatures only found in Hawaii.

I second Maui. Esp. with 4 divers as boat diving can get really expensive fast at 2/$100-130 daily. If you're staying in West Maui, Lahaina Divers has two big easy to board 46' Newton dive boats. They run both Molokini Crater and the Cathedrals off Lanai - the signature dives on Maui. Both suitable for your skill level. Extended Horizons has a smaller boat and only goes to Lanai. Both are good outfits.

So for shore diving - in West Maui, get tanks at one of the Maui Dive shops - they have a 10/$55 fill card. Lahaina Divers or Extended Horizons also rents tanks and does guided shore diving locally. A few good sites - Black Rock, Old Airport Beach, Kapalua Bay/Beach. All are simple entry shallow dives where you'll see turtles and possibly some sharks. If you want a guide, Lahaina Divers does that. So does Tiny Bubbles. Here's a good starting point for dive sites. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

in South Maui boat operators only go to Molokini and return to dive the coast later in the day. They have to leave early to beat the tradewinds - some as early as 5:30-6:00AM. Boats are smaller since they launch from the Kihei ramp daily. So there's less divers per trip typically. I recommend B&B Scuba, Ed Robinson's or Mike Severns but there's many other options. Severn's crew are all naturalists so you learn more.

There's more shore diving in the Wailea/Kihei area including many of the beaches. Good dives there are Makena Landing, Ulua, Polo Beach, Wailea Beach and possibly the Kamaole's (more crowded with tourists) Some of the sites have very limited parking so go early. In the Kihei area, guides include Shaka Divers (Doug) or Maui Dreams Dive Co. You can get tanks at MDDC also - or B&B Scuba nearby.

There's also the boats out of Ma'alea, Maui Dive Shop keeps one there as does Maui Diamond. There's no real advantage unless you're staying in the condos there. MDS feeds divers from all their shops so it can be more crowded - still 8 divers/DM but the one time we dove with them, we were the 4th group off. Maui Diamond takes their own bookings plus several local shops who don't own boats.

Not sure what you read about the vis but I've seen 200' horizontal off Molokini in summer. About the same off West Lanai on a good day. About the only place there's drift diving is either the Molokini Back wall or West Lanai past the lighthouse. With 20 dives no one will take you to either. I have never done a shore dive where prevailing currents changed our plans. You will need to tow a flag at least until you can tie it off near where you're diving.

It's not the Manta night dive but Manta's are somewhat reliably seen at a cleaning station off Umekahame (sp) Beach in West Maui during the day. Some ops do it as a boat dive. The Lahaina operators do their Discovery dives/Cert. dives in the afternoon along the west coast. So those are shallower, easier dives. Lots of turtles, some of the operators call West Maui generically "Turtle Town". At the Carpathian (slightly deeper) they're waiting for you. If you night dive, an excellent one is Mala Pier with Lahaina Divers. Their boat gets you out there much easier than the legal entry - I wouldn't want to try it at night - too much standing coral.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

The big island is the only island with a liveaboard. Does that mean anything - I don't know but is is reality.
I think it means the boat owner lives there...:D

Although due to distance, it's probably the only island where it makes sense. Aggressor hits some of the very far southern sites, the Kona operators are very reluctant to go that far south due to time/fuel concerns. Also they dive there all year since the island shelters that side. As it is, they call it the cellphone LOB since you're never out of range.

Off Maui they'd be competing with local ops at the 3 nearby islands.

I could make a case for Kauai - leave from Nawiliwili, go north and dive a couple days. Then on to Ni'ihau and back along the Napali Coast. But that would be seasonal, in winter it's too rough even for an Aggressor class boat - the 45' day boats don't try it after Sept. So they'd have to run two itineraries and compete with local ops on the south side during the winter months. No one dives north Kauai in the winter due to big waves and rough conditions.

I wish somebody would get permits and do trips into the Marine Sanctuary. IDK if that's even possible unless you're a scientist or a Cousteau. I'd pay big money for that. Check out Voyage to Kure' on pbs.com.

Last edited:
Maui is definitely number one and Hawaii number two given your groups experience level. In fact, because of that, Maui is a no brainer. Boat dives fitting your description are plentiful, and there are lots of shore dives you can do for very little cost. Maui Dive Shop has a great shore diving guide for free- call or email them and they will send you one. They are also the best value for renting gear and air and lead. They operate a dive boat, but I p[refer Lahaina divers on the West side of the Island, particularly for cross channel runs to Lanai ( where the viz is fantastic, and lots of the shallow sites on the West side. Recommended boat dives: Mala Pier, Olawalu, any sites at Lanai, and any site called "turtle town," of which there are at least a dozen, and the FRONT side of Molikini. For shore dives, Black Rock, Old Airport, and down south, 5 caves and Ulua Beach. And any others. Those are just my preferred locations, due to ease of entry, and good things to see.
Have a great trip. Get that Maui Dive Shop Guide
DivemasterDennis

I've dived with Scuba Shack in Kihei--South Maui for 4 days over two trips. They are excellent for novice divers (me with less than 40 dives and my kids on a discover scuba dive). Great rental gear included in the sticker price. Fast boat--first to arrive at Molokini. Good guides to lead the dives and point out the little critters I would never have seen on my own. I'll be signing up with them on my next trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great info and recommendations! That is really helpful- glad I asked, as I clearly had the wrong impression about diving in Hawaii. It sounds great! many thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom