Instructor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirt1212

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to Scuba board but have been reading on here for the past 6 or so months.

My question is..

About 4 years ago I went a got my OW cert and then followed that the next year with my AOW. Any ways I bought all my own gear before I took my OW. I wanted to train in the gear I would be using.

So, one day last summer I was in my local dive shop having my tanks filled to go and do some practice diving at a local lake that has a dive platform in it( were I did my OW) As my tanks are being filled I am talking to my instructor and I say to him, do you think its a problem if I got out to the lake and practice some things on the platform solo. I told him my girlfriend would be there but not diving.

He says, as good as you have done in your training and from the dives I have done with you he says I don't see a problem with it.

Someone over heard this and absolutely cuts loose on me about never diving alone! I understand to never "dive" alone but I or he didn't think dropping down 15 feet to a platform with someone on shore was a big deal.

So, after I tell her how I feel. I leave and go do my training.

What is every ones thoughts on this? Was it wrong for me to do this? I hope not as I do it all the time.

Thanks in advance

Doing anything solo has it's risks, as there are many threads on this, especially in the solo forum. Your instructor was probably looking at it from a practical stand point. Several students have asked me this question. I never actually say it's OK to anyone to go solo, but I'm protecting myself.

It depends on a lot of things, including how risk-averse you are, how you react to stressful surprises, how experienced you are, conditions of the dive, your equipment, how conservative you plan to dive, etc. etc.

The usual recommendation is to first get training. The training in turn typically requires 100 dives as a prerequisite. During training you’ll learn about such things as redundancy, not just an alternate second stage.

Having said that, obviously nothing prevents you from doing you what you describe. Many of us did our first dives solo – because our group could only afford one set of equipment. But I do not recommend that.

I would never say to anyone (as an instructor) to go dive solo w/o proper training. I would advise them to take proper training first. Once said person has proper training it is up to them to dive within limitations of their training and experience. Generally my stance is dive within limitations of your training and experience level.

Hello everyone,

I am new to Scuba board but have been reading on here for the past 6 or so months.

My question is..

About 4 years ago I went a got my OW cert and then followed that the next year with my AOW. Any ways I bought all my own gear before I took my OW. I wanted to train in the gear I would be using.

So, one day last summer I was in my local dive shop having my tanks filled to go and do some practice diving at a local lake that has a dive platform in it( were I did my OW) As my tanks are being filled I am talking to my instructor and I say to him, do you think its a problem if I got out to the lake and practice some things on the platform solo. I told him my girlfriend would be there but not diving.

He says, as good as you have done in your training and from the dives I have done with you he says I don't see a problem with it.

Someone over heard this and absolutely cuts loose on me about never diving alone! I understand to never "dive" alone but I or he didn't think dropping down 15 feet to a platform with someone on shore was a big deal.

What is every ones thoughts on this? Was it wrong for me to do this? I hope not as I do it all the time.

Thanks in advance

well a 15' deep platform i don't think is too deep for a CESA if necessary ---- since you've already dove with the instructor before he had a decent idea of your skill set & mental set -- and you had someone on shore --- and you said you going to practice skills of some sort.

i would say as long as the location doesn't prohibit solo and you are an adult -- it's your business.

buddy system is good, but unless there is a law/ordinance against solo ---- i'm not advocating one way or another unless whomever is wanting to go solo is a minor, then NO.

Hello everyone,

My question is..

Thanks in advance
Tell them to mind their own damn business. It's your life and you'll do what you damn well please. If you are comfortable with it, have the skills, gear, mindset, and you and your family are ok with the fact that if something happens you may die, it's no body's business what you do. If she actually got radical with you tell her to shut up, go away, and save it for the you must always dive with a snorkel crowd.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

BTW I am an instructor and I also have a vanity plate on my truck. It says SOLO DVR.

Tell them to mind their own damn business. It's your life and you'll do what you damn well please. If you are comfortable with it, have the skills, gear, mindset, and you and your family are ok with the fact that if something happens you may die, it's no body's business what you do. If she actually got radical with you tell her to shut up, go away, and save it for the you must always dive with a snorkel crowd.

This is basically what I told her. Then my instructor chimed in and REALLY told her.

I agree with what has been said. Solo diving is risky, but can be done safely. I don't see a 15' dive onto a platform that you are familiar with to be high risk, but I don't know you and your instructor does. Having your girlfriend on shore is pretty much irrelevant as the only thing she could help with is if something happens after you surface (and are able to stay on the surface).

I would offer that if you are going out to practice, it would help to have someone diving with you to give you feedback on what you are doing...possibly even to shoot some video of you diving.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 03:37 PM ----------

This is basically what I told her. Then my instructor chimed in and REALLY told her.

you might want to remind her that more people die trying to force their opinion on others, than on 15' solo dives :)

If anything bad happens (out of air, tangled, lost mask, got your arm jammed under the platform, line tangled around your tank valve, etc.) can you deal with it safely, and competently, completely alone with no help?

If you can, then solo might be OK. If the answer is "maybe" then you shouldn't be doing it.

It also depends on if the other person was responsible for/owns the lake access. They could demand you dive with a clown hat and be completely within their rights, and could bar you from the site, if you didn't do it.

Doing anything solo has it's risks, as there are many threads on this, especially in the solo forum. Your instructor was probably looking at it from a practical stand point. Several students have asked me this question. I never actually say it's OK to anyone to go solo, but I'm protecting myself.

Solo forum has been dismantled for several months now - all posts are gone unless you have a previous link to get in...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom