FS: Professional U/W video system Sony FX-7/Fathom lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am selling my Ikelite/Fathom/Sony FX-7 rig (without the Ninja external recorder seen in one of the pictures). I have no idea what it's worth. It shoots amazing, professional video. It was one of two main camera systems used to produce seasons 3 and 4 of Jonathan Bird's Blue World. The FX-7 was replaced recently because the previous one had a dead pixel. So the camera has ~20 hours on the video heads. Also, the front element of the Fathom SWP-44 lens was just replaced by Fathom, so the lens is optically perfect and brand new. This system produces simply astonishing images. Super sharp, bright colors, and the 120° wide angle lens means the viz always looks better on video than it did in person. Honestly! Because the lens is a zoom-through design, you can shoot extreme wide angle and macro on the same dive. The housing comes with a Dive and See HDMI connector already installed so you can use it with a Dive and See Ninja2 recorder housing if you want to buy one. Recording in ProRes422 with the Ninja is simply incredible looking.

The system comes with:

Sony FX-7 video camera (cost new: $1998 at B&H. Still in stock and shipping)
• Ikelite FX-7 Housing (cost new: $1500).
Fathom SWP-44 (cost new: $3,000)
• Custom Fathom lens mount for the Ikelite which includes UR Pro internal glass flip filter. Extremely well made by Fathom just for me. (Cost $2000) Only two were ever made.
StiX custom-made syntactic foam float for the lens to create perfect buoyancy (cost $150) because the lens otherwise makes the system front-heavy.
• I'll throw in a box of 10 FujiFilm HDV tapes (best brand made, the only ones I use.) Cost: $70.00

So this system, with the best underwater lens ever made, cost me about $8,500.00. I have no idea what it's worth. I'm only selling because I have gone to a 4K system. Taking offers! Reasonable offers considered. If you ever wanted to step up to a truly professional system but don't want to drop $20K (what my new system cost) this might be just the thing.

contact me at jbird <at> oceanicresearch <dot> org

-Jonathan
Jonathan-filming-Australia-4.jpgJonathan-Bird-Bimini1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom