Palau, Tahiti, Truk, PNG, Maldives or Indonesia as first big trip for teenager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violinfather

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a trip for late July or early August. I have been diving in the following locations; the Brother Islands in the Red Sea, Tavenui, Matagi and Beqa in Fiji, Vancouver Island, Hawaii and Cozumel. My teenage daughter has 30 dives in Cozumel.

We both love seeing sharks, eagle rays and other large pelagics. I really like wrecks but not sure about Truk unless there are sharks and some decent fish life.

My daughter is not keen on doing the liveaboard thing. I was thinking of Fakarava however it seems really expensive.

Any suggestions of dive destinations and dive travel agents would be appreciated.

Thank you.
mark

Rangiroa and Fakarava - split your time between the two, its expensive but its worth it. PNG for sure - also expensive, also worth it.

If you like sharks, you might think of the Bahamas. Of the group above, Fiji has a good reputation for shark dives.

I would also also consider Cozumel. It is closer to you. It is relatively inexpensive. Also, it gives great value for the money.

If you like sharks, you might think of the Bahamas. Of the group above, Fiji has a good reputation for shark dives.

I would also also consider Cozumel. It is closer to you. It is relatively inexpensive. Also, it gives great value for the money.

Yes we love Cozumel. I am considering going back this summer and adding on Whale Shark snorkelling and some cenote diving. Half the price of a trip to Palau but my daughter and I have been to Cozumel twice in the last year and a half. It would be nice to try somewhere else before returning to Cozumel. The diving in Cozumel is great for the dollar but it definitely is not as good as Fiji or the Red Sea.

You might want to look into Yap. Its a bit hard to fly to but well worth the trip. A few wrecks, but lots of manta rays, sharks, and beautiful reefs. Hard and soft corals with nice walls with really neat caves and swim throughs. Plus its very laid back and not many divers there. You can also combine it with a stop in Palau on the way to or from there if you want to see more wrecks

You might want to look into Yap. Its a bit hard to fly to but well worth the trip. A few wrecks, but lots of manta rays, sharks, and beautiful reefs. Hard and soft corals with nice walls with really neat caves and swim throughs. Plus its very laid back and not many divers there. You can also combine it with a stop in Palau on the way to or from there if you want to see more wrecks

I am going to see what I can get for a quote as per your suggestion. A Palau/Yap combo sounds good. Before I go I am going to take the Padi Intro to Tec course as my local shop is planning a return trip to Truk.

Ocean Hunter III live aboard in Palau. Your daughter will enjoy this live aboard. The crew is super fun and she will be the center of attention. I started with 31 dives and after completing every one, I doubled my experience and confidence. The advantage over land based is you get to the sites before the crowds.

It was worth every penny of the cost and if I could, I would have stayed and done it all over again. This is more like a super yacht, with 2 chefs and everything down to the shampoo is first class.

I saw manta rays doing cartwheels within arm's length of me, I probably saw 50 sharks, 1000s of fish, gardens of every type of coral size shape and color possible, I swam in caves and in airplanes, through 100 ft sunken ships and over a tank that was covered.in coral and looked like it was ready for a parade. I swam down walls, drifted with the current and on several occasions I had to hook up to the reef and let the super strong current lift me like a kite with the water alternating from blow dryer hot to chilly cold. Amazing does not begin to describe it. Stay in town a few days and go to the Drop Off Bar. Buy your souvenirs from jail (fabulous artwork that helps support the families of inmates). This will be a cherished memory for a lifetime.

Rangiroa and Fakarava - split your time between the two, its expensive but its worth it. PNG for sure - also expensive, also worth it.

Consider Rangiroa and Fakarava, check out Tevahine Dream on Rangiroa, and Havaiki on Fakarava. Pensions, really well run, and help with the cost.

Diving in both locations is great, and also different.

What dive op did you use in both places?

Consider Rangiroa and Fakarava, check out Tevahine Dream on Rangiroa, and Havaiki on Fakarava. Pensions, really well run, and help with the cost.

Diving in both locations is great, and also different.

We love Palau!!!! If you decide to go there, check out the Palau Pacific Resort! Great "big stuff" diving in Palau!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom