Waterproof D1 Hybrid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubafoon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am putting this post here as I want to see if anyone specifically in Ontario are diving with the Waterproof D1 Hybrid drysuit. It seems that there are generally great reviews about this suit (except the point that the lining is a bit abrasive and thus requires at least a thin layer to be worn between the skin and the suit). I know it is quite heavy comparatively to others but if diving in the lakes here, one would need undergarment anyway so the total weight should be approx the same anyway?

Appreciate anyone who have experiences with the D1 and also if anyone know how much it weight?

Thanks.

I considered one, but ultimately chose another suit, mostly based on cost as I can get key-man on almost all brands but that one. (Gotta work on that!) I have a friend who had one and "liked" it, but he didn't "love" it. He's a big/tall guy and it didn't fit him well, and they can't be customized. That's not saying anything bad about the suit... just not for him. It's a great-looking suit and seems to be well built.

He also commented that the inside of the suit got quite damp due to condensation, so I think you would definitely want a proper wicking layer. He did comment that the suit was very warm.

I'll PM you his name in case you want to contact him.

Thanks Stuart!

Within the waterproof brand, the other option I am think of is the D7 Pro ISS, which will require proper undergarment for sure and I like the front zip and also the "flexibility" to go with different undergarments. Also I think is a bit cheaper than the D1....

Besides Waterproof, my next choice is the Santi e-Motion which is quite $$$ as well....

I'm new to dry suit but do want to get one that can last and "convenience" to use (don, dive).

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those suits. I have a lot of friends that dive DUI as well, and generally, they are pretty happy with them, especially if their build benefits from a custom fit.

I'm an old Viking guy, and I just picked up a Pro-tek last spring. It's always dry, but heavy and not overly flexible. I really like the looks of the new Santi suits and if I was doing it again, that might be my choice.

I have one and I love it. In fact, I just had Steve Gamble install a pee-valve as I spend a little too much time in my D1! The liner is unquestionably hard on bare skin, but abrasive isn't really the best word choice, it's more akin to being waffled by the 3D-mesh print. The liner is not permanent attached and can be very quickly removed (think a couple zippers and Velcro) if it's not desired for the particular dive. It's also a benefit to wash the liner and we've found that it is a durable material capable of easily surviving a standard washing machine.

The D1 comes with user replaceable silicone seals (neck and wrist) that are genuinely replaceable anywhere but underwater! The addition of dry gloves is also very easily user installed. You carefully remove the existing oval-shaped ring system (theoretically no tools required) and transfer the existing seal to the new wider ring. (The larger ring is required to mate the press-on dry glove) Once you make that simple swap the dry gloves literally click into place and do not require the removal of the wrist seal or ring system to install.

The D1 comes with two expandable thigh pockets. I don't know why you'd need to expand these pockets as I'm able to carry just about all my backup cave gear in those pockets without expanding them. The pockets easily swallow four spools, a backup mask, slates, scissors, and my backup lights. Speaking of cave diving, I also like the zip on/removable wrist seal covers featured on the arms of the D1. The removable wrist covers protect the entire wrist seal and overlay the gauntlet of wet gloves nicely. If you're wreck or cave diving this is a feature you might want to consider. The neck seal has a similar fabric cover which very clearly aids heat retention and performs a nice job holding onto wayward hood bibs. The wrist seal covers, neck seal cover, and pockets make for an incredibly clean configuration which makes for a very clean look in underwater photos. You can really look squared away just by hiding and covering things!

Fundamentally, the D1 with the liner installed is a Thermos. Your body will heat the air in the suit, period. You should very carefully consider just how much undergarment you're applying for a particular dive. My personal observation is that I can wear exactly half the undergarment of what I use in my Bare Trilam. Some divers (myself included) find wearing too much snowsuit as a real disadvantage in terms of ability to reach across our bodies to active things like OPVs, Manual Add Valves on rebreathers, etc. The liner is infinitely pliable and will contort in whatever shape far beyond what my 400gram undies will allow!

What I've done is pair the suit with the lightest Waterproof BodyTec undergarment (200gram) with no problem in water as cold as 47 degrees for exposures exceeding an hour. The dealer catalog has a warning about the 400 gram undergarments not being appropriate unless you're in water approaching 32 degrees. The liner adds value in not obvious ways though - decompression. When you're lying on your stomach for an hour watching the blue world I've noted the air in a typical dry suit tends to migrate to my back. This tendency means that the suit is very close to the front of my body as the air is all crushed out of the undergarment. Anyone who's spent any real time hanging knows this promotes core cooling of your body. The D1 essentially solves this entire problem as the water is always a constant distance away. Giving your body the opportunity to heat the space and maintaining the space absolutely makes deco a warmer experience across your entire body. Another hidden advantage to the liner is pee valve users will note the hose is generally not crushed against your body during deco. I'll let you figure that part out for yourself!

Clearly there’s no free lunch with this air space, you might need to add about 5-6 pounds to your configuration and some divers report feeling a bit fin light as there is more air in the legs than they would otherwise plan to use. Whether this is a disadvantage of inherent trim, or an advantage as you’ll now keep your legs warmer is a personal debate.

For my money, the D1 Hybrid is a brilliant suit. The D1 is rugged, can be configured and repaired by the user even when it’s wet, and the option of diving it with our without the liner makes for an all-around winner in my opinion.

Thanks HIGHwing, very thorough review, and you have also answered one of my questions that a pee valve can be installed on the D1.

BTW, do you happen to know the weight of the D1 with the liner?

Still figuring out the weight? :yeahbaby:
Haha.... Hey, stuff come's up...

This is a pretty old thread, but by way of update, I did buy an eMotion... Love the fit and flexibility, but it ain't dry. They replaced the T-zip after about 50 dives (under warranty) , but the seams leak. The Halcyon rep and the LDS guy have both gone silent after basically telling me that that's to be expected (WTF?). My Vikings are DRY, so I am used to being dry! (The Halcyon guy dismissed this as saying that the Viking is a "whole other thing"...)

In my case, the seams seem to be leaking in the crotch area. I have gooped them up and we'll see what happens, but I feel that this this is just another Flex-Extreme suit... You need two of them to stay dry, since the other one is always out being serviced!

I am back to diving my ProTech and keeping the SANTI for travel when weight is an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom