New Wreck Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember about 15 years ago, Kona had an opportunity to get a huge ship named the Mauna Kea sunk for diving. A handful of locals stopped it. Said the wreck would poison the keiki who swim in Kona waters. Probably same few people who said mooring balls lead to sexually transmitted disease (I kid you not). Seriously? They're MOORING balls, not the other kind.

A penny thats a good price,do they deliver?

I remember about 15 years ago, Kona had an opportunity to get a huge ship named the Mauna Kea sunk for diving. A handful of locals stopped it. Said the wreck would poison the keiki who swim in Kona waters. Probably same few people who said mooring balls lead to sexually transmitted disease (I kid you not).

Yep, that sounds like Hawaii alright.

The cost to get a carrier ready to sink would be multi-millions of dollars. Asbestos, PCB's in the wiring and lead paint would all have to be abated. I would love to see it, but the environmental hoops are enormous!

Asbestos, PCB's in the wiring and lead paint would all have to be abated.

<sarcasm>

I know, it's a miracle we can even set foot in the ocean given the number of natural wrecks humanity has dropped in it over the past few thousand years.

</sarcasm>

Think about the revenue the O brings in Pensacola and that isnt even a dive destination. You could even have a park fee to dive on that goes to the state like the Kittiwake does in the Caymans. I think to get a major under water attraction in Hawaii would be HUGE. There is talk there is 2 more for sale...

Like Dr. Lecter stated, its very surprising we can step foot in the ocean with all those nasty asbestos, lead, and oil filled wrecks that landed naturally in the ocean. Blows me away what they make you do to produce "clean" artificial reefs, and even if it does cost a couple million to prepare one for sinking, does the economic return make up for it. I think in most cases yes, imagine if Kona, a place with out any significant wreck were to get a Navy Carrier to sink??? I know I would make in effort to go back just to dive it, just like I would make the effort to go dive the Kittawake in Cayman, or the wrecks in Ft. Lauderdale, or like I did to dive the wrecks of Oahu. Just saying.

If they dropped it in 350'-400' or so, Hawaii would instantly grow an actual tech support network. It'll never happen, but I can dream.

Back
Top Bottom