Looking into spare air or other emergency air supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pandemic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I was looking into an emergency air supply like Spare Air. I'm an armored car driver and I'm slightly concerned that if the car goes into the drink I won't be able to get out. I can't go into great details about escape procedures but it's not hard to imagine that if it's hard to get into, it's also hard to get out of. Not to mention the fact they're extremely heavy and wouldn't float well. So what can you suggest? I've seen a 1.7cf spare air for about $200 and a 3cf spare air for $250. Are there any other options? Would you buy new or used? Thanks!

I have been looking to purchase Spar-Air as well, for use on my recreational dives. Recently returned from the roatan Invasion and one of the other invaders had a Spare Air setup. I figure there's not much air in these devices, but if an issue arises its better than 0 air.

A spare-air is probably a good choice for this. They are used in helicopters for the same reason. You might as well stash a mask and light in the same kit. As a diver you know, but if any of your co-workers also think it is a good idea please make sure they understand air embolism. I'm not sure how much the chopper crews know about it... I hope a lot!

http://www.heed3.com/

Last edited:
A spare-air is probably a good choice for this. They are used in helicopters for the same reason. You might as well stash a mask and light in the same kit. As a diver you know, but if any of your co-workers also think it is a good idea please make sure they understand air embolism. I'm not sure how much the chopper crews know about it... I hope a lot!

HEED 3 - Submersible Systems life saving Helicopter Emergency Egress Device

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Good call on the mask, that'd definitely be useful. I'll need to find a hard case to keep them safe along with a nice sized bag. Air embolism is important, for sure but I'd also doubt we'd be in more than 10m of water at any given time. Still, important to consider especially in a situation like that.

… Air embolism is important, for sure but I'd also doubt we'd be in more than 10m of water at any given time. Still, important to consider especially in a situation like that.

You can easily embolize yourself in 10M/33' of water, especially in a panic situation. In fact it isn’t hard in 3M/10'.

Fair point. I'll have to put a stick-it note on the mask saying 'breathe' haha.

The Heed3 setup is, from what I can see, about $300 for the 1.7cf kit. The Spare air 3.0cf kit is bout $250. Plus it being yellow makes more sense to me if it's not on you at all times.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Good call on the mask, that'd definitely be useful. I'll need to find a hard case to keep them safe along with a nice sized bag. Air embolism is important, for sure but I'd also doubt we'd be in more than 10m of water at any given time. Still, important to consider especially in a situation like that.

As Akimbo pointed out, 3m is plenty deep. Take a breath at 10m, hold it, surface and it will, literally, double in size. Additionally, remember that at that depth you are breathing down the air in the cylinder at, literally, twice the rate as on the surface. Add to that you will most likely have an elevated breathing rate (no matter how calm you think you are you will breath harder).

So you might want to sit with a tank of air at the surface and breath it down 1.7 cu.ft. or 3.0 cu.ft. If you find 3.0 cu.ft. lasts you 5 minutes then it will only last 2.5 minutes at 10m. However, in a stressful situation it would be more like 1.25 minutes. Better than nothing but 1.7 cu.ft. is probably only going to give you less than a minute and 3.0 cu.ft. is going to give you just over a minute. Add getting the equipment on, purging the regulator and getting out of the armored car and 1.7 cu.ft. really isn't a lot.

I highly recommend this for this application. The US Army issues them as standard equipment with their MRAP armored vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan for exactly this reason.

Get the biggest one available, as it may take some time to escape and you will be breathing heavy. Do you have a seatbelt/restraint cutter as well? Highly recommend one of those too. A mask and light may be useful too, especially if there is a air pocket you can use to get your bearings before escaping.

If you or your co workers are not certified divers, see if you can explain the hazards of embolizing to your superiors (without shooting your idea in the foot). Then explain that Scuba training can mitigate this risk, and see if they'll pay for you to get certified! Hey, it's all about Safety

I bought spare air for myself, wife, son in January and have carried them on all dives ever since. We usually practice with it at the end of a trip in fact. Really like the system. It gives a good sense of confidence to have a completely redundant gas supply system.

I do recommend checking them on planes rather than carrying. The security in Manila airport in March didn't like the heavy metal if the cylinder and made me check them through on a connection. Haven't had any issues with that just do make sure the regs aren't attached. I keep the bag locked as well.

I keep the reg in a ziplock bag- has many washers

Back
Top Bottom