Flash sync problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm using Nikon D800 in Nauticam housing, 2x YS-D1 strobes with optical sync. On some images, about 20%, I have strongly underexposed bottom part of the frame - about 15-20% of the vertical size. The same effect randomly appears at different shutter speeds (1/200 to 1/320), with normal and rear-curtain sync. I don't see any regularity in the event and I can't reproduce it on land photos with built-in flash

I'll be very much appreciated for any ideas.

What's your flash sync speed? Your shutter speed is 1/200 or 1/300 but the sync speed I suspect is your problem. Slow it down and see if that doesn't help.

Jim

D800 has sync speed at 1/250 sec. Using strobe and setting speed shutter faster than 1/250 will confront the symptoms you got.

D800 has sync speed at 1/250 sec. Using strobe and setting speed shutter faster than 1/250 will confront the symptoms you got.
Are you sure? If I'm not mistaken the min sync speed can be 1/320. And I have the same black stripe at 1/200...

I'm pretty sure you can slow down the sync speed on menu e1 (I don't have a d800 but shoot other Nikons). Slow that down to below 1/250 and see if that helps.

Jim

Are you sure? If I'm not mistaken the min sync speed can be 1/320. And I have the same black stripe at 1/200...
Max sync speed is 1/250 when using the optical connection, but it becomes 1/320 when bypassing the cameras' flash and utilizing the hot shoe in conjunction with electronic cables for off camera strobes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom