Water temp at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Oahu on 5/24 and Kona on 5/28. Looking at my selection of wet suits. What is the approximate temp at depth, down to 80-100 feet? I can see surface temps through NOAA.

Thank you.

I just finished a couple wreck dives in Oahu 2 weeks ago. On the YO at 94 feet my computer said 74deg and on the Sea Tiger at 104 feet it said 73deg. I dove with a full 3mil suit.

Typical temps here are 75-76 degrees in the winter, 78-79 in the summer. I would second the 3mil full suit for most people, but I only wear shorts and a rash guard ;-). Temps at depth are not significantly different from the surface.

2 degrees makes a big difference though. I wear a 2.5 mil and often go to 150' on a scooter which keeps you a bit cooler than swimming. it has been 77 on average. But I have a little insulation being 220 lbs. my little wife wears a 5 mil year round.

Greg Walker
Maui Scooter Divers
www.mauiscooterdivers.com

I think I've been getting temps around 72 F at the depths under discussion. There is a serious thermocline further off the bow of the Sea Tiger, but you won't find that within a couple ATA of rec depths. I second what Gabe says about wind, though.

Last week, my computer said 79 out of Kona down to 80ft and 77 on Oahu down to 100ft (both Waianae and Waikiki). 3mm was good for most people, or 3mm with a beanie or a hood. They gave us a 3mm Farmer John + Shortie combo in Kona that also worked well for most people. Hoodies were nice for the boat, even in 80-85 degree weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom